Front strut bar adjustment??

hagar

Guys

when I took the strut bar off the other week it came off easy as it wasnt actually adjusted correctly - thank you pi55an service

Would it be possible for someone to count how many threads are either side of the bolt so I can ensure mine is correct? I know the black blob has to be facing up but the number of threads either side is unknown - I've done it with a tape measure to the roof of the plenum but as I have a kentix+ I've had to make assumptions

soooo could some kind soul count either side and let me know which side has how many?

left of bolt =

right of bolt =

looking up the engine bay from the front?

thank you :)

Guest prescience

I really don't think its as critical as you are implying :)

i.e I cant be a*sed ;)

but so long as its clear and not vibrating under acceleration I wouldn't worry

Edit - the tower bar adjuster is opposite threaded left vs right, so one way to shorten the other to lengthen and then just tighten the outer nuts. Maybe its not obvious how it works until you inspect closely?

I've just done my spring and found the strut bar was under compression, i.e. pushing the strut tops away from each other. I simply refitted and applied about the same amount of tension using the centre nut. I searched my350z.com and found the procedure below. I might now check mine, although it will be coming off again when I fit new shocks.

FYI - Per the Nissan Service manual

TOWER BAR PFP:544A2

Removal and Installation AES000DE

REMOVAL

1. Fix center bolt, and then loosen nut in the right and left side.

2. Loosen center bolt to the direction in the figure (ccw when viewed from passenger side) on 660° (Or turn

bolt 1.7 times) to place the black mark of center bolt above.

3. Remove tower bar fixing bolts and nuts, and remove tower bar

from vehicle with power tool.

INSTALLATION

1. Install tower bar and tighten at the specified torque.

NOTE:

If it is hard to install tower bar, install it turning center bolt.

2. Tighten center bolt to the direction in the figure on 660° (Or turn

bolt 1.7 times) to place the black mark of center bolt above.

NOTE:

The space between tower bar and engine collector should be

between 10.0 mm (0.394 in) and 17.0 mm (0.669 in).

3. Tighten both nut of the right and left side of center bolt.

surely it could effect alignment? Either way i'm under tension alright but due to the increase height of the strut due to the spacers supplied for it to fit over the plenum I thought it might effect alignment?

Guest prescience
yeah in theory it would, but I haven't felt any difference, I guess if it's just a couple of extra turns it doesn't :)

Precisely, you're probably not talking about 2 full turns anyway and the thread is very tight on the screw - fractions of a millimetre difference in alignment.

I guess it could affect alignment, but only if the tops of the struts were made of jelly.... :teeth:

Seriously though, I would expect the amount of movement in the strut tops from the strut bar would be so small as to make little difference to the slignment. Interesting to see if RJN agree as I'm not expert.

Hagar

Think you're reading a bit too much into it, don’t worry - be happy.

Just loosen the brace until it is neither pushing or pulling the towers and then gently tighten until you can feel the towers are being pushed apart a fraction, then lock it in place.

There’s no real science to it.

Give me a call if you want.

cheers MArk the things ok I just making sure its not going to put alignment out

others, the + comes with spacers that go under the strut bar mounting points to raise the bar up to clear the plenum

its on, its adjusted and its driving ok I was just making doubley sure :)