Aftermarket bracing for the Roadster

Ekona

Having pretty much decided that I don't want to touch the stock suspension on my car at all as it gives me the perfect combination of comfort, compliance and feel, my next step is to add as much bracing to the car as possible. Given that the roadster has that massive cross-brace under the car that stops many bracing parts that fit the coupe being installed, is there a definitive list anywhere of stuff that will fit? Or a list of parts that won't? Any info would be gratefully received.

Ta! :)

Hi mate,

Envy have a lot of braces and all sorts:

http://www.envyperformance.com/

Select you car and check the suspension/chassis section on the left hand side.

I think they have an ebay store too but ebay is blocked at my office.

I would imagine Adam Z1 Auto's has a lot too if you don't mind shipping from across the pond.:)

Yeah, I've used Envy for parts before but their website doesn't differentiate between the coupe and the roadster (not even the Z-Store), so I'm still none the wiser about what will fit and what won't. I'm guessing the only real way to find out is to give them (and Adam) a ring and see what's out there, I just wondered if there was a list already available that I hadn't discovered yet.

I'm in no real hurry so I'll get onto the case in the new year and post up what I find. Thanks for the reply though bud :thumbs:

Hi Adam, I'm after pretty much anything that will stiffen up the chassis underneath. For now I'll be sticking with the stock sway bars and I have no need to adjust any camber on the wheels so that can all stay, but it's bits like the lower tie brace, lateral brace etc that are simple bolt-on bracing parts. I know I'm being about as clear as mud here, but I simply don't know what will actually fit on the roadster.

@H5: Good idea, I might shoot him a PM.

Hi Dan and thanks for the pm.

Okay, I am asumming that your Roadster is U.K and not JDM.

If your car was a coupe then you would have few fitment issues but the U.K. Roadster undercarriage is so different from the US and JDM so there are fitment issues with the Roadster.

I do not know if all chassis bracing manufacturers follow the same template but my experiences are with the fitment of USA GT Spec braces and a U.K Roadster.

Door Hinge Braces.....They require substantial modification to the front fixing points and the removal of the rear vertical panel which is fitted to the inside of the wing. The hardware supplied does not work so alternative bolts, washers, spacers are required.

Front Tie Bar......No fitment issues, but beware there are different types depending on the size of your sump pan.

4 point mid brace.......Again fitment issues as the U.K Roadster already has a bracing plate fitted which you can not remove so you have to fit the mid brace over the factory brace, again different hardware required.

Rear Lateral Brace......From memory no major fitment issues.

Rear Lower Tie......More fitment issues especially if you have the rear diff. with the solid "plug" on the bottom. Also if you are running excessive neg camber then you will have to elongate the fixing slots on the brace.

I am running 600 bhp on my Roadster so I really do feel the benefit of the bracing but I doubt very much in deed if any benefits would be obvious on a stock Z.

Suspension and brakes really should be your first upgrades, even a set of Eibach springs would be beneficial and some Ferodo DS 2500 into your Brembos would work.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers,

Alex.

Alex, that's brilliant, thanks mate! :thumbs:

I've thought about sorting the suspension, but due to the medical issues I've got with my back I really don't see that as an option at this point (or any in the near future, sadly) so that's not going to happen.

For Door Hinge Braces, I assume you mean the fender braces?

Front Tie Bar, I've got a stock UK sump, will that be okay?

4 point Mid Brace, is it worth it given the massive UK stock brace?

Rear Lateral Brace, nice one I'll have that!

Rear Lower Tie, doe this solid plug come standard on a 296 UK car? Camber will be stock if this matters.

Brakes have been done to the most of my budget right now in the form of PF carbon metallic pads, discs will be done as and when they need changing which won't be for a good few 20K miles yet (have only done 17K on an MY06) but that's a guess based on 90% road/10% track use

Thanks again Alex, I really appreciate the info.

Alex, that's brilliant, thanks mate! :thumbs:

I've thought about sorting the suspension, but due to the medical issues I've got with my back I really don't see that as an option at this point (or any in the near future, sadly) so that's not going to happen.

TBH you would probably be fine with Eibach Springs on std shocks, they are not jarringly stiff normally, as eibach design them for compliance as well as performance.

For example, when i fitted eibach springs on my Mini Cooper S Works, i found that the suspension was NOTICABLY less stiff, all the crashing was gone and the nasty jarring disappeared too.

Just a thought for you to think about, maybe try a ride in a Z with them fitted?

I am having a set put on wednesday, so i can happily post uop comparisons to std after that.