Problems with the IPDM Unit?? (sits behind the battery)

getrich

Hi there,

The backlights on the back of my 350 stopped working about a month ago!! I tried replacing the bulbs but still they didn't come on. I also checked the fuses but they were all ok.

So I decided to take it to Nissan for a diagnosis! What they came back with didn't impress me. They said that water had leaked into the IPDM Unit (I think thats what its called) which sits behind the battery. The water had turned everything green and blown the fuses!!

They then said to replace the unit plus labour it was going to cost me just over £1000!!!! I couldn't believe it. I instantly said the surely all fuses and electrical parts must be sealed and covered so how did this happen??? They said it was actually a common problem and until it was fixed the back lights wouldn't work. I needed the car that weekend so I told them to do the work but I'm still not happy about it!! I can't believe that rain managed to get into my fuses!! and that its a common problem!!!

I'd really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this? Has it happened to you? Is it a common problem? Do you think I was conned? and finally Do you think If I spoke to Nissan UK and explained to them what happened I might get at least some money back??

I hope someone can help me. Thanks for taking time and reading this.

Dan

"I had a friend who had a similar problem with a relay in a IPDM in a Nissan truck. Even though the relays are not listed as separate parts, they snap in and out easily. He was able to adapt an individual relay from a different IPDM. "

hmm........ so the whole unit doesnt need replacing :rant:

I would try Nissan GB. I've no heard of it before but tell them that the garage has already told you its a common fault and you want to know why they havent rectified it. As its a known common fault I would be telling them I want it fixed for free. :)

Presuming you mean the backlighting on the dash. Are you sure the toggle buttons haven't dimmed the backlighting???

About 4 or so years back the backlighting on my Z went super dim, after Nissan dealer did a bit of playing with the toggle buttons (lol it took them a while to figure it out too), was back to normal. Sorry I can't help anymore than that. But worth a try. Have you had a nosey in your owners manual?

Presuming you mean the backlighting on the dash. Are you sure the toggle buttons haven't dimmed the backlighting???

About 4 or so years back the backlighting on my Z went super dim, after Nissan dealer did a bit of playing with the toggle buttons (lol it took them a while to figure it out too), was back to normal. Sorry I can't help anymore than that. But worth a try. Have you had a nosey in your owners manual?

Think they mean their rear light clusters :thumbs:

Think they mean their rear light clusters :thumbs:

Ok. :)