Advice on how to make K1 quieter :)

MrLizard

Hi All

Still love the K1 dont get me wrong, and most tracks are without DB limits so no issue :thumbs:

However i was at bedford on saturday (pics to follow) and although i had the bungs in and passed the static test at 4.5k revs, i did set one of the drive by things off, head marshall was reasonable etc so i just had to lift off once i knew where they all were, 4 in total 3 of them grouped, so lots of track to play with still :)

Is there anyway anyone can think of apart from changing exhaust to make this even quieter? Anyone had any experience with steel wool?

Dont want to get banned from the track and i got vouchers on saturday for another free session! :scare:

Also really dont want to change exhaust but i will if cant get an answer...

ta

Told ya you'd get done on the drive-by ;)

You could make it a lot quieter by getting an additional silencer cut in on the main pipe before it splits for the two cans. Get it put on flanges and it's then removable for road driving and you only need put it back on for track work. That's the easiest and cheapest way of doing it that I've found.

i was wondering how long it would take you to say 'i told you so' ekona :p

In the morning session i got to 104db or something 1db from tripping it, the sensor is about 20m away!! :scare: i saw three sensors and a porka was catching me because i was lifting off for them, then it passed me and i was like, right then im not standing for that! floored it in third and saw the sensor whilst i was at about 5.8k revs on the same side of track :(

i will investigate the suggestions, ta guys.

You got lucky mate. My friend got black flagged at Bedford for being over the drive by limit. He passed the static, but failed the drive by. Marshall said as the sensors are linked to the local council, they have to be seen to kick people off (bit dubious to me and the fact they let you stay on proves that they dont have to kick people off). He thinks it was his induction kit which tipped it over.

The two options I have seen before are mentioned above. Add a mid section silencer (removable or whatever), or get an Apexi valve fitted to the midsection, so you can restrict it when you want (on track) and open it up when not (on track with no limits!)

:)

I've had to do the whole lifting off thing in previous cars at Bedford, so know only too well how frustrating it can be.

Any decent exhaust place should be able to knock up a removable silencer for you for small money, not sure where you're based but I'd be tempted to head towards Hayward & Scott if you're anywhere near them. Brilliant work and very reasonable prices too.

And if you do go, let me know how you get on as I may well have to do the same :oops:

I know of people who have dealt with the before and been impressed, unfortunately they are in essex and im based in coventry, company i work for has an office down there tho.... mmmm 40p a mile might cover the inconvenience...

ta, ill let you know if i do.

You got lucky mate. My friend got black flagged at Bedford for being over the drive by limit. He passed the static, but failed the drive by. Marshall said as the sensors are linked to the local council, they have to be seen to kick people off (bit dubious to me and the fact they let you stay on proves that they dont have to kick people off). He thinks it was his induction kit which tipped it over.

The two options I have seen before are mentioned above. Add a mid section silencer (removable or whatever), or get an Apexi valve fitted to the midsection, so you can restrict it when you want (on track) and open it up when not (on track with no limits!)

It is linked to the council, i got lucky as i was passing said porka, gaymen with a non standard exhaust right next to the sound thing, i suspect they just said unable to pinpoint which one it was.

i went for this in the end

http://www.nengun.com/apexi/exhaust-control-valve

However im waiting for it to arrive still and i purchased it from another forum member, once fitted (hopefully next week) ill let you know the product number (as there are a few diff ones) and whether it works well without restricting the performance to badly!

:thumbs:

... and whether it works well without restricting the performance to badly!

If anything, it will give you a bit of torque back. Normally less restrictive pipes loose you torque on the Zed as you loose back pressure, so if anything this will give you it back (at the expense of loosing a bit of top end grunt, if you even gained any in the first place, damn ECU) :thumbs:

yer id agree with that, the zorst sounds awesome without the silencers but just as good with them in and it feels a little more positive with them in, also ran a quicker time on the drag strip with them in though there were a few other conditions that might have done that!

Yer there are a few, the guy i brought it off has stated that it is the right one for the exhaust but i dont know which that is! :)

when i fit it ill post up the product number and the cross section size, what exhaust do you have?

i have the standard cats as i was advised that highflow ones etc can have a negative effect on torq etc... i do have a japspeed Y pipe and the valve will go at the end of that so just the one as mentioned before.

:thumbs:

ok, if you could let me know how it goes. Ive just put the standard y-pipe and mid section back on to quieten the bloody thing down. got a 600mile drive this weekend,

The sound is just right for m-way and down my street driving with just the back box on, but would like the noise on tap at my discretion :teeth: and ive got a lovely 3 1/2" polished pipe in my garage now :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...