aftermarket respray

hagar

out of interest, I've seen quite a few cars now with after market flip flop type paint... how much is it for a top quality respray as I am sure aftermarket painters would do a much better job

any recommendations too?

cheers all :)

yes, it was just an example though

I am fed up of my paint chipping at the mere thought of bird @*!# hiting it at 70mph let alone stones. So I want something propper on it, prefably lead based to really **** on my grand kids chips

Guest prescience

OK - is it still legal yo use lead-based paint then or is water-based used as an economy measure only?

Trying to educate myself here

I got my FTO resprayed in nissan WV2 Gunmetal (normal metallic) for about £1500 from Modified Metal in Birmingham. Excellent job and well recommended, although I am not sure they actually do all the spraying themselves, I think they may just do all the prep work and use a local spray shop but not 100% sure.

That was for a full respray from a standard metallic silver/grey and excluded engine bay but did include door shuts etc.

Cost is going to depend on the type of paint/finish and the starting paint colour too - loads more prep and work if you want a complete colour change to something radical including the engine bay.

I would charge 1800 for a fairly basic colour change that includes door checks and as far as wing edges under hood. the rest of the engine compartmet would cost quite a bit as its an engine out job. for a flip respray i waord reccon 2500 with Mipa paint.

Lew

OK - is it still legal yo use lead-based paint then or is water-based used as an economy measure only?

Trying to educate myself here

Hi there the paints used these days are solvent baised and water baised.

However in 2007 it will be only water baised used due to polution laws. With an exeption of commercial vehicles. Sadly water baised is hardrer to paint and is more expensive to buy.

Lew