Selling a Roadster - try now or wait until Spring?

glastoveteran

Hi all,

I need to sell a 2007 Roadster and I know demand and therefore prices tend to be lower at this time of year, but the question is do you think I am better off just shutting it up for the Winter and waiting until Spring to try and sell? I know it'll probably be easier to sell then but would I achieve a better price now or wait 4 - 5 months? Depreciation verses lack of demand at this time of year...

For those that have ready any of my previous posts this is my JDM import that I foolishly decided to import through Bonsaicars last December. 11 months later and I'm finally off to pick it up next week but I really couldn't care less for it any more and I just want to see the back of it. I had to go out and buy something else for daily use and also for a big European trip so bought a Z4 Coupe instead [waits for abuse...]! It's a real shame that this experience has put of off the Zed but I'd just rather keep the Z4 now.

Thanks guys,

Alex

Hey bud.

Bit of a predicament really. I personally would say put it up for sale now. I dont think demand would decrease the price as much as another 4 months of depreciation! And the way the markets are, its likely to be for sale for that long anyway.

Stick it up now, and dont under price it, as it sounds like you're not in any rush for the money...

On another note - you still got the paddle shift kit...? was hoping you'd have put it on ebay by now so i could get bidding! Any news?!

Good luck with getting rid of it. Deffo get it up for sale now!

Suggest you might want to read how Z Roadsters are doing at auction....

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 612280&i=0

:scare:

Glen

Great thread that but depressing reading for roadster owners. The two that didn't sell looked nice...

:scare::surrender:

I'd say get it up for sale now. Theres not a lot of interest around atm for these cars (apart from at shocking prices) so get it out there and see what you can get. The whole sell it in the spring as people want them then isnt going to make any difference with the economy as it is atm.

Personally, I'd say wait for spring. Yes we're in a pretty horrific time financially but we are also in the depths of winter when any sports car is an absolute ball ache to sell. Come the new year interest rates will be lower still, hopefully the press may have reduced their panic mongering reporting and the weather will start to pick up which as a general rule of thumb means it's easier to sell a sports car, especially a soft top.

Also, it will give you a few months to enjoy a car that has given you so much grief so far.

By the way, what Z4 have you got and what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks guys for all the comments.

Sorry Chris for not having put the shift kit on ebay yet - been quite busy but I promise I'll let you know when I do!

ungarsee - I've got the Z4 3.0i Sport Coupe and I love it. In terms of comparrison with the zed, some things are better and some not but overall I prefer it to the 53 reg UK zed I had:

0-60 (0-62) times are identical to the 07 Zeds - 5.5 (5.7) - but the Z4 is lighter and has a 3.0 litre straight six so it easily averages over 30 MPG and will do 300 - 400 miles on a 55 litre tank!

One thing I liked about the zed was that it's not that common - can easily go for a while without seeing another, and whilst the Z4 Roadsters are as common as dog @*!# you hardly ever see Coupes, and I really like that.

The interior feels more expensive than the Zed's (to be expected from a BMW) and has a few more toys as standard - automatic headlights and wipers, memory seats and aircon settings linked to the keyfobs and much more in the way of optional extras which can be both a good and bad thing I suppose. If you're buying used then you might get lucky with a well spec'd one. Base stereo is pretty crappy but does at least have an AUX input as standard.

I probably don't drive on the limit enough to be able to notice much difference between the handling but I certainly haven't got any complaints! Quite noisy on the motorway partly due to the runflat tyres.

Maybe I'll come back to the zed one day...