Looked at a 350Z today, couple of questions (gearbox!!)

cfoster

Hi all,

Looked at a nice GM 350Z today which is up for sale, very clean etc etc..... car has 56000 miles on it with full history etc etc.. A couple of things I noticed about the car that concerned me!

Firstly the clutch pedal felt very high, biting point was almost at the top. I've heard that at this kind of mileage the clutch could be on its last legs (not really an issue as the car is priced VERY competitevly (sp!)). The other thing I noticed was that engaging 4th to 5th gear at an average speed it does the usual syncro grind, doing a slow gear change its fine. Now i've read up on the gearbox problems and was wondering that if I was to buy an aftermarket warranty would syncromeshes etc be covered by it? I know they are not normally worth the paper they are written on but i'm sure on my last warranty on my DC5 Teg the warranty stated that syncros were covered? If so I could/can get a claim in for it, at the same time give them a new clutch to fit (hopefully avoiding the clutch labour cost!!!)

Any thoughts or is it worth walking away? (Car is a 54 plate).

Cheers

Chris

I bought a brand new 350z last October. Clutch bite point is high. Gerabox is also well known to be 'notchy', especially when cold. Usually desribed as a 'man's' car because it has a fairly heavy clutch and stiffish gearbox. Shouldn't make any grinding noises though. Usually it needs a good clunk getting it in gears, especially second when compared to lower powered jap runabouts, but shouldn't be anything too obvious.

At the end of the day the car has 300bhp going through the clutch. The bigger the bhp the shorter the clutch life, even when sports clutches are used like in the 350Z. Clutches can start to go from 35k if driven enthusiastically ! Could be worse though, my mates brand new Lambo gave up it's clutch after 4k miles. Dealership said this was fair wear and tear - it expects about 3k if driving just round town....ouch.

Lots of bargains out there at the minute. If your not happy then just keep looking.

Regards

cheers chaps, i do see where your coming from but except for this it is very clean, and far nicer than any of the other more expensive ones I have viewed!!

I've looked on warrantydirect's website and it says that all gearbox internals are covered:

TRANSMISSION (Manual, Automatic and Overdrive)

Manual Transmission: gears, synchromesh hubs & rings, selectors, shafts, bearings, drive chains plus gearlever and bushes.

Automatic Transmission: torque converters, brake bands, valve block, governor (manual & electric) oil pump and seals, drive chains, gears, input shaft oil seal, clutches, servos and modulator valve, bearings plus gearlever and bushes.

Overdrive: Gears, shafts and bearings

The chap selling it has said that it has been like this for a while, he definitely wasnt an enthusiast but seemed to have looked after it really well.

Chris :)

I take very good care of my Z and I'm having the same problem as listed above.

Since a few weeks, engaging 6th gear from 4th or 5th causes grinding. Unless shifting really slow. So most likely the syncromesh is on it's way out. Won't be cheap to fix.

Also my clutch has a very heavy feel to it, so that will need to replaced as well.

So these problems are normal when a Z has done a numerous amount of miles I guess. In my case around 40k miles.

So that might be a reason for the low price, that some maintenance is needed. I don't know if you'll get away by getting a warranty or you'll have to pay for the parts + labour yourself.

I would walk away a properly cared for zed should not have these problems. Its a buyers market at the moment and you should find a better cherished example. :thumbs:

I would tend to agree with Beavis. You really are spoilt for choice at the moment so long as you are prepared to travel. So unless you are 100% certain, leave it alone.

It also depends on how much the car is selling for!

My 54 plate has done 62k miles, I'm still on the first clutch, it's always had a notchy second gear, the clutch is heavy and bites high. As far as I'm concerned these are normal characteristics of the car.

I wouldn't walk away if it's a good price, sounds like a similar miled car to mine and mine is mint! No problems at all.

The only thing I would watch out for are discs, pads & tyres and a P3 service which is due around mid 60k's. Check Ray's are not corroded as well (if it has them).

Why don't you send us the link so we can see it!

But.... if your planning on doing a lot of miles (I've done 30k in 1 year...business & lots of pleasure).... bear in mind that 20k will put the miles up to 76k in 1 year.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys, i have a 54 plate,owned it a year now, had and still have the same 2nd gear, and high biting points, i took it back 2nissan a month after i bought it, they changed gearbox and clutch for new under warranty, still exactly the same as it was before, i dont have any probs with synchros. Its down 2you if you want it go for it, the z is a great car :thumbs:

Second gear is hard to shift when cold. It is normal. Grinding on 4th 5th and 6th is the synchro wearing out. Again normal for this box. The synchros are shite! Best time to do the work is when clutch is being changed. If your warranty covers the synchros ..then get them done and throw in a clutch as well. You will save big bucks and have a good box to do another 50k miles.