350z cruise control lights flashing

larsdowg

Gunning it down the motorway last night :teeth: then tried to set my cruise control and lights started to flash........ I could turn it on and off but it came on and the set light kept flashing, and it would'nt set??

I have been out in the Zed this morning and all is well, must have been unhappy yesterday (system blip) :wacko:

Had something similar on my Scooby with the engine management light, and after 4 key starts if there was nothing major it would reset itself.

Assume this is along the same lines? Anyone had something like this?

Cheers Lars

Not experienced this so just throwing in some ideas after searching the net. Not particular to the zed but reports say maybe something to do with speed information not getting through to cruise control (loose connection or something up with ECU). Therefore, it won't set because it doesn’t know the speed. Maybe if it does it again you could bring the digital speed display up and confirm what it's reading (assuming this comes from the same source).

The second possible cause I found was that the cruise control takes a separate signal from the brake peddle. If this is open circuit or intermittent, it thinks you’re applying the brake and won't allow you to set it.

Again, no personal experience so the above may be total tosh :lol:

Not experienced this so just throwing in some ideas after searching the net. Not particular to the zed but reports say maybe something to do with speed information not getting through to cruise control (loose connection or something up with ECU). Therefore, it won't set because it doesn’t know the speed. Maybe if it does it again you could bring the digital speed display up and confirm what it's reading (assuming this comes from the same source).

The second possible cause I found was that the cruise control takes a separate signal from the brake peddle. If this is open circuit or intermittent, it thinks you’re applying the brake and won't allow you to set it.

Again, no personal experience so the above may be total tosh :lol:

ha ha cheers :lol:

not done it since, but will keep posts if it does but just seemed kinda odd sure it was nothing.....

cheers for your post though, checked both readouts and showed same so will just have to keep an eye on it :thumbs:

• 10 months later...

Had same thing this morning after a 1 hour fairly relaxed drive on mixed roads - Cruise would turn on and off but the set light blinked.

When I switched the engine off at a stand-still after coming to a halt at the next set of traffic lights, I couldn't start the engine again - it refused to turn over and just 'clicked' on the key-turn ( much to my embarrassment when the lights turned green with a nice long queue of morning commuters behind me). :headhurt:

After flicking on the hazards and considering what to do next everything seemed to return back to normal- started first flick and then behaved itself. Drive home couple of hours later- normal...... :blink:

any suggestions??

cheers for advice!

This all links back to the clutch pedal (microswitch):

Faulty microswitch = no start, as the clutch needs to be depressed.

Faultly microswitch = flashing cruise light, as the clutch is part of the cruise system.

Hope this helps, I have a parts diagram of this system if it would help?

• 5 weeks later...

For future reference I was just browsing a technical PDF file for the Zed. The secton on crusie control states

When the ECM detects any of the followng conditions, the ECM will cancel the cruise operation and inform the driver by blinking the indicator lamp.

-Engine cooleant temperature is slightly higher than the normal operating temperature, CRUISE lamp may blink slowly. When the engine coolant termperature decreases to the normal operating temperature, CRUISE lamp will stop blinking and the cruise operation will be able to work by pressing SET/COAST switch or RESUME/ACCELERATE switch.

-Malfunction for some self-diagnosis regarding ASCD control:SET lamp will blink quickly

Something else to add to the list :)