Oh! Dear....But we already know this.....

ZMANALEX

The more I read about this the more I think Nissan wants its cake and to eat it. Launch control has one purpose (unless anyone can suggest any others) - to be able to perform consistent full bore starts. Several other manufacturers offer it on their high performance cars and AFAIK (and I'm happy to be corrected) they are happy to market it as a feature of their cars.

This bloke has been pilloried for "abusing" the car but full bore starts are clearly accepted by other manufacturers as something an owner might reasonably want to do in their high performance cars. I don't personally think that its so crazy to want to use launch control for the purpose it was designed for and if its there one would expect it to work without killing the car.

I'm not naive enough to think that Nissan didn't want people to know about the launch control and the video above just reinforces my view. What they have cleverly done is incorporate and publicise through a more than willing press (and some of their own people) a feature in their car which to the uninitiated puts it in line with other (usually) more expensive performance metal. At the same time, it would appear that other components aren't capable of withstanding the forces when this feature (which Nissan have incorporated and fitted) is used for its natural purpose, so they've hedged their bets by saying its a "secret system" and that flicking the switches that make it work invalidates the warranty. Then when someone uses it and lunches a very expensive gearbox they can pass the blame to him for using the self destruct function that they designed.

I probably phrased my question wrong earlier when I asked why Nissan would allow the VDC to be turned off - what I really should have said is why have Nissan fitted the launch control at all when the rest of the car can't withstand its use?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For refference - Nissan in the US has released the following - pretty much in line with what everyone thought the answer would be, and certainly backs up the fact that switching VDC off alone will not void the warranty.

The singular thing people need to remember is that using launch control does not void the warranty - The warranty clause regarding the operation of the vehicle with VDC turned off states that Nissan will not cover damage or failures of otherwise covered components, IF it can be determined that the use of launch control led or contributed to the failure. The act of using launch control (which requires turning off the VDC) will not automatically void the vehicle warranty. Simply put, the warranty outlines that failures or damage resulting from things such as misuse, accidents, non-factory modifications, etc. are not covered under the factory warranty.

Further, the warranty states that VDC should only be turned off to help when rocking the vehicle when stuck in mud or snow.

Nissan will not void the entire warranty on any of our cars based on one specific issue of one specific component or system, however, a part or system won’t be covered under warranty if Nissan determines that the failure was as a result of misuse, modifications, etc. (as mentioned above)

In the US, they are now trying to clarify what terms "abuse" with Nissan, or more specifically at what frequency does the use of Launch Control move from acceptable use, to abuse.

Though based on the above, I wouldnt be using it at all if I were an owner, just in case.

The more I read about this the more I think Nissan wants its cake and to eat it. Launch control has one purpose (unless anyone can suggest any others) - to be able to perform consistent full bore starts. Several other manufacturers offer it on their high performance cars and AFAIK (and I'm happy to be corrected) they are happy to market it as a feature of their cars.

This bloke has been pilloried for "abusing" the car but full bore starts are clearly accepted by other manufacturers as something an owner might reasonably want to do in their high performance cars. I don't personally think that its so crazy to want to use launch control for the purpose it was designed for and if its there one would expect it to work without killing the car.

I'm not naive enough to think that Nissan didn't want people to know about the launch control and the video above just reinforces my view. What they have cleverly done is incorporate and publicise through a more than willing press (and some of their own people) a feature in their car which to the uninitiated puts it in line with other (usually) more expensive performance metal. At the same time, it would appear that other components aren't capable of withstanding the forces when this feature (which Nissan have incorporated and fitted) is used for its natural purpose, so they've hedged their bets by saying its a "secret system" and that flicking the switches that make it work invalidates the warranty. Then when someone uses it and lunches a very expensive gearbox they can pass the blame to him for using the self destruct function that they designed.

I probably phrased my question wrong earlier when I asked why Nissan would allow the VDC to be turned off - what I really should have said is why have Nissan fitted the launch control at all when the rest of the car can't withstand its use?

The point is though, a 430 has LC, use it, **** up your car and YOU foot the bill, just the same as Nissan. If you read on fchat or clubscuderia, NO-ONE dares to us the LC for fear of breaking their car. LC is there, ready for them to use, but they don't because Ferrari wouldn't pick up the bill. I don't see how this is any different to Nissan's stance?

The one and only difference I can see is Ferrari and other manufactures declare it as a feature and give a warning as to it uses. Eg. on the Enzo you got two runs with it. Then you needed a new clutch.

Nissan have made a mistake here and due to the method and cost of manufacture they're not inclined to correct it. The gearbox, like the engine, is basically made in a lab and is a sealed unit. It's also unique to each engine or some such crap. A little amendment to the owners manual would of put all this to rest.

Other cars that do have launch control cost twice the price and the buyers are far more wary of the consequences when playing with them or they can well afford any bills. The GTR which costs f-all in comparison is now within arms reach of people who believe every word they hear so long as it's from someone they know. E.g Clarkson says this is how you get LC. Consequence - Billybob thinks it's perfectly normal to use it.

There is talk of boxes dying when LC hasn't been used but that's a different issue. From reading the thread on gtr it sounds like one of the clutch plates is dead. As it's sealed in the gearbox itself I think Nissan would rather avoid dealing with this one. I wonder if they even offer a clutch replacement service. My guess would be they’d offer to sell a new box to you or ship yours to Japan. But that’s only a guess.

The point is though, a 430 has LC, use it, **** up your car and YOU foot the bill, just the same as Nissan. If you read on fchat or clubscuderia, NO-ONE dares to us the LC for fear of breaking their car. LC is there, ready for them to use, but they don't because Ferrari wouldn't pick up the bill. I don't see how this is any different to Nissan's stance?

No post????? :tumbleweed:

And no less deplorable as a result.

Are you answering you own(non) post? :headhurt:

Are you answering you own(non) post? :headhurt:

No yours. Just having a bad day....