Clutch bite point

Rentech

Still being a fairly new owner of my Zed, I'm still finding my way around it. I've read about the heavy clutch but in addition I find mine bites quite high up the pedal travel, probably about half way. Every other car I've driven tends to be down the lower end.

Is this normal? I guess it's self adjusting but can it be moved at all. Finally, I'm hoping this isn't an indication that the clutch might be wearing as its only done 5k.

Cheers

I've read about the heavy clutch but in addition I find mine bites quite high up the peddle travel, probably about half way. Every other car I've driven tends to be down the lower end.

Just to clarify - what do you mean by 'high up' the pedal travel. I had a new clutch fitted last year and the new bite point is now very close to the pedal fully pushed in.

Clutch should last about 50k miles normally

Very true - the OEM clutch lasted 55k for me.

Steve

Yes I would expect it to bite when the pedal is nearly fully depressed. With only 5k on the clock I can't believe it would be that worn. Will try and pop into the dealers and see what they think. As it was a Nissan Select vehicle sold 'in a condition you would expect for age and mileage' I don't think that is acceptable. I've owned cars for upto 7 years and never got through a clutch yet.

So there's no chance that it could just be the adjustment?

Oh well, I'll pop in and ask as I need to show them my damaged satnav DVD as well :dry:

Edit: Just remembered, I did have one clutch go on an old Vaxhaul Chevette I had when I was a teenager(high miles though). Don't remember the biting point moving though, just remember it starting to slip when under heavy acceleration.

Doh, wish I hadn’t asked this question now, I’m just going to be worrying about it :unsure:

there is only a very small window of adjustment on these cars. Best bet is picking up a factory service manual (it might be posted here or you can get them on ebay for cheap). Even stock (at least on pre 06 models), the release point is higher than it is on many other cars

Makes me feel a bit better, cheers :D

After checking out a few other cars I think it was me. New car, different seating position etc....or maybe I should stop driving in the wife's high heels :lol:

Popped into the garage today. They checked it out for me and reported no problem. They even compared it with two other cars on the forecourt to make sure and all the same. They could see the disbelief in my eyes :lol: so offered me the key to a beautiful white ‘08 cabriolet. Had about 7k on the clock , similar to mine, and the bite point was just the same. Now I'm happy and can get on with enjoying the Zed experience. :yahoo:

Popped into the garage today. They checked it out for me and reported no problem. They even compared it with two other cars on the forecourt to make sure and all the same. They could see the disbelief in my eyes :lol: so offered me the key to a beautiful white ‘08 cabriolet. Had about 7k on the clock , similar to mine, and the bite point was just the same. Now I'm happy and can get on with enjoying the Zed experience. :yahoo:

Excellent, now get out and drive :drive1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate

did you get this sorted out at the dealers in the end?

It was very VERY high when I tried it at Wales meet - thats unacceptable for an '08 car - its a warranty job so you should'nt have any issues with that side - they should get it sorted for you - if they are funny about it - go and jump in one of their democars and see how that feels - or better still get them to compare it! :boxing:

Otherwise try a different dealer

Good luck :thumbs:

Hi Stanski,

As above, they told me that it was in spec and that they had compared it with two other cars they had on site (and one was even higher then mine!). I thought it was on the high side and you agreed but difficult now as the '08 cabriolet with 7k on the clock was, without getting a ruler out, exactly the same as mine :wacko: .

im guessing every clutch will be different guys.... mines fairly high up. iirc the bite point is about 3 inches from the top of the pedal and its been like that from day one..no clutch slip or anything so i dont think you have anything to be worried about... if it makes you feel better.. bigphil has driven my car and not mentioned nothing about it...

-ho

im guessing every clutch will be different guys.... mines fairly high up. iirc the bite point is about 3 inches from the top of the pedal and its been like that from day one..no clutch slip or anything so i dont think you have anything to be worried about... if it makes you feel better.. bigphil has driven my car and not mentioned nothing about it...

-ho

Sounds the same as mine. Have covered 25k+ miles since having it and it hasnt changed. No slip or anything. Sounds perfectly normal.

-ho

Thanks for the info :thumbs:. I guess that just how it is on some cars. Not a problem, just different.

Well I still think its high for a new car? Sure it works but imaging a long queues in a traffic jam - your legs muslces will end up like ballons! :lol:

On my Pathfinder they had fitted the brake pedal alignment wrong in the factory it was too far backward and I was'nt getting the full pedal travel? Took the dealer 3 attempts before they realised! Muppets R US!

I expect something similar may have happened - we know Nissan's record for build quality almost rivals Rover! :headhurt:

Go to another dealer and see what they say - wont cost you anything? :D