350Z Dyno'ed NOW WITH RESULTS SHEETS

neodc

Guest prescience
Just thought I would chip in, not an expert on 350z but on many cars aftermarket induction kits actually cost you power, especially the type that terminate in an exposed intake filter just lying around under the bonnet drawing hot air. They are less efficient than the manufacturers standard air box. Just something to think about.

Spot on - hot air == less power. Time it was pointed out :)

Guest prescience
Time it was pointed out :)

Thought it was common knowledge :blush:

Not in the context of the pop-charger unless I missed it - usually "claims for gains" is the name of that game or perhaps more often "the ECU cancels out any gains" - which demonstrates a lack of understanding as to what the ECU does, what it can't do etc :)

I'm not being flippant but have you ever heard anyone say 'the ECU cancels out any losses' and if not, why not ;)

People pre-suppose that the ECU is a quasi-watchdog keeping tabs on owners not getting too lairy with gains :lol: . In fact it is just a computer program (code) which like any other, maps inputs to outputs

Hi.

Increasing performance is about reducing temperature of the air (the standard intake is well shielded against engine heat) or trying to get more air via some kind of air ram effect (used on many sports bikes).

This system moves the intake away from the engine:

AEM 350Z Cold-Air Intake

The good old stock airbox is the best intake many say you can get for the Zed. I believe many race teams use them, especially the one from 06 onwards where (again I think) it has the venturi ring.

Pop charger is all about the noise, not the power :teeth:

2002 and early 2003 cars (Imports) run a different ECU. Not sure if ALL jdm ECUs are different though.

Do they "self-learn" as suggested? Most cars I have always had self learn depending on how it is modified. I know with the UK 350 this is not the case. Interesting how the early JDM ecu is slightly different.

AFAIK JDMs have different ECUs to UK - all years. Early JDMs (2002 and early 2003) do not have the nannying ECU and will "learn" the mods you have to give more power. All other ECUs have the nannying and will not allow you to expliot the potential of mods without an additional piggyback ECU. I beleive that JDM ecus can be reflashed, but as yet UK ones cant.

Think that covers it all :)

AFAIK JDMs have different ECUs to UK - all years. Early JDMs (2002 and early 2003) do not have the nannying ECU and will "learn" the mods you have to give more power. All other ECUs have the nannying and will not allow you to expliot the potential of mods without an additional piggyback ECU. I beleive that JDM ecus can be reflashed, but as yet UK ones cant.

Cool didnt know that :yahoo: Only need a de-restrictor for mine now B)

Guest prescience

I have asked this before on several threads ... please quantify these statements because in more years than I care to remember of the 350 boards, I have seen this claimed many times but have seen no evidence. I have always said that I believed it most unlikely that such a fundmental change in ECU design had been instantiated for the simple reason 'Why'?

I don't wish to contradict you, but I shall stick my neck out and say I don't believe it - sorry Chris :blush:

I have asked this before on several threads ... please quantify these statements because in more years than I care to remember of the 350 boards, I have seen this claimed many times but have seen no evidence. I have always said that I believed it most unlikely that such a fundmental change in ECU design had been instantiated for the simple reason 'Why'?

I don't wish to contradict you, but I shall stick my neck out and say I don't believe it - sorry Chris :blush:

No worries chap, I dont have any evidence, hence the "AFAIK". Its only what I've read before, mainly on the US forums and what people have seen on dynos.

From what I've read, JDM ECUs can be reflashed, but yet no service is offered for UK models. Why would that be if they are the same? The hardware is no doubt likely to be the same, but the firmware they load onto it is likely to be different. Just like the BCM. Why does the JDM model offer folding mirrors on locking, yet no one can get it to work on UK? There are fundermental differences in the UK and JDM models, just no one truely knows what these are other than Nissan themselves.

Guest prescience

No worries chap, I dont have any evidence, hence the "AFAIK". Its only what I've read before, mainly on the US forums and what people have seen on dynos.

From what I've read, JDM ECUs can be reflashed, but yet no service is offered for UK models. Why would that be if they are the same? The hardware is no doubt likely to be the same, but the firmware they load onto it is likely to be different. Just like the BCM. Why does the JDM model offer folding mirrors on locking, yet no one can get it to work on UK? There are fundermental differences in the UK and JDM models, just no one truely knows what these are other than Nissan themselves.

You raise good points - I accept that. I must admit I was focussing, not on the peripheral items controlled by the BCM but the nuts and bolts regarding fuel, air flow etc.

Nevertheless, and I agree with you, the fact that a JDM ECU can be reflashed (as can any ECU BTW) but the fact that this service is offered by ECU code (which it is) supports your argument, that they are different B)

Having said that, and having been rather glib about it, I still stand behind my main point, which is that I have yet to see any objective evidence :)