Scorpion Exhaust Experience

ClarCE

Hi all,

Thought I'd report back after fitting my Scorpion cat back (not including Y-pipe) today.. :dry:

First off, only snapped one bolt - and it was on the old backbox, so nothing to worry about there - overall was just fiddly and difficult angles under the car with only two axel stands.

Offered up the new system, all looked good - got the centre section on there first, secured with the two bolts into the Y-pipe..

First problem, the centre pipe runs on the plastic/fibre glass cover that goes around the diff, so thats off until I mod it.

Second problem, mounting the new back box - WHAT A NIGHTMARE! I don't know what I did to Nissan to warrant my hands taking that kind of punishment, theres just no room at all under there! Main problem here is that at the rear right of the car, there is a metal frame bolted on underneath which holds a plastic cover - this in turn covers some component that has a mesh on the bottom - looks like something to do with the air system, but not sure.

So, to get the thing on, that all had to come off too. I'll be taking the angle grinder to it and cutting out the bit that would otherwise rub on the new zorst.

Step back and look at it from behind, and the whole lot is offset to the left :( So spent an hour wiggling it to try and get it more central.. Eventually gave up as it just wasn't doing anything.

Put it all back together, tightened up the clamp that holds back to centre, and took it for a test drive.

After 5 mins, I can just hear knocking noises left right and centre!!! :angry:

At this point, I took it down the local exhaust fitters and they had a crack at it for an hour. Basically they took the back box off and seriously rammed it back on to the centre pipe. This bought the centre pipe up and left, and off of the thing it was knocking on up near the Y-pipe - looks like a metal mesh of some description which doesn't appear to do anything!

All sounding great now and no knocking, so I'm pretty happy.. I say pretty because when you look at it the left hand pipe sticks out 2-3 CM's more than the right, which is quite set back.. To be honest it doesn't look great and is always going to bug me. The only thing I can think of doing is taking it off again, grinding 2 cm's off of the centre pipe, and then fitting it all back again in an attempt to drag the left hand side back further..

I read on here that someone else has had a shabby experience with an ill-fitting Scorpion exhaust, so maybe I'm another victim of ropey quality control.. As I just spent £350 on it including the garage time I'm not in a position to change it again anytime soon..

The good news is that it looks sh!t but sounds awesome :teeth:

No pics yet, as I was in such a stress I couldn't be bothered!

So theres my experience in a day, I'll let you know if I can ever be arsed to take it off again and start grinding :rant:

I thought all Z exhausts were lower on one side, My standard one was & so was my nur spec. I just had the hangers modified

Hi Ian,

They are the same height, they do not stick out of the back the same distance, or anywhere near... I'll photo it tomorrow..

Just a a reply to my earlier post. the knocking i experience was me fitting it poorly first time. The exhaust now fits perfectly and sounds beautiful!

Was that to do with getting the centre pipe properly shoved into the backbox? Thats what fixed that bit of knocking for me, it pulled the centre up and to the left giving loads more clearance..