Tyre Cracks, help!!

gordonmpd

Recently bought a zed from a Nissan dealer, on an 05 plate. Tyre treads looked okay, about 2K left in them at a guess. Standard tyres are fitted, car done 27K so probably not original (?)

Took the car to a local tyre company to get the wheels balanced as I was not happy with handling, lost a weight. Once the wheels were off it was possible to see cracks in the base of the tread on all 4 tyres. Took the car back to the dealer who says that the tyres are OK, looked on another car on the forecourt, 6 months older, same problem. Anyone had this before on Bridgestone Potenza tyres? Any help much appreciated before I have a rare up with the dealer.

Surely if your local tyre place inspects them and says either way safe / unsafe then you can go to the dealer with that information. If they are unsafe and the garage has sold them then there could be implications in them selling a car that is not 'road worthy'

Yeah it was the KZ and XZ models of the potenza's IIRC. But as far as I'm aware the issue was feathering and not cracking? Cracked tyres just sound like old tyres that need replacing maybe?

+1 - sounds like the rubber has started to perish to me, and is down to one of two things - old rubber, or if another car on the same forecourt has it maybe there has been a spillage of something that has damaged the tyres.

Welcome to the site too :)