The nightmare continues

DJsickboy

So you may have seen my previous post regarding my brand new 58 plate Z that I collected on Monday 1st.....

On Tuesday the dealer kindly sorted all of the little problems out like the loose wires hanging from the rear bumper.. the scratches.... the oily finger prints... but not the big one... the whiney gearbox.

I am told on the day by the mechanic who goes out in the car with me that they are all like that... hmmm

I have a fair bit of mechanical knowledge as an ex racer and ex race mechanic and engine builder, and I am not so sure.

Tuesday night I drive a mates car and ... no noise. Also many folk on here say there should not be any exsessive gearbox noise.

Wednesday morning I drive another Z the same year as mine..... No noise

I call the dealer to express my concern and they invite me to drive another car of theirs.

We do that and .......No noise.

I am told that maybe my car is a bit noisy.

The sales manager goes out in the car with me and says that his previous car had a similar noise and it shouldnt be a problem, it will prob go away once the car is run in....... Fair enough me thinks!! ( I have doubts)... Maybe I am making waves for nothing... He suggests that I book the car in for a proper check to investigate next week ( as per my diary )

So I drive home... clean the car.... have to go to work to sort problems and ...then click bang crunch... suddenly Ten times worse..

First gear sounds like the worst worn box or diff you have ever heard... the whine and mechanical grating is so loud you cant hear the exhaust for it.. :scare:

Second through to sixth the same whine as before but First is terrible.

I call the dealer and they take in the car this evening for Evaluation tomorrow.. Giving me a lovely Quashki thingy as a courtesy car (sarcasm) could have been worse.. could have been a micra!!!

So 72 hrs after picking up my lovely Z that I have waited 3 years for and agonised for 31days after placing the deposit, I am Z less while they look into it.....

I am not a happy bunny :dry:

To be fair they are trying to sort it out but, sh1t... this is not the experience I was hoping for.........

Sorry for the rant... just had to get it out

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for you mate, I was gutted when I lost mine for 1 week due to a puncture after 5 days...

So what will they do, just replace the gear box? Not sure I'd want them messing about with my brand new car but then I suppose they wouldn't replace the whole car? Although that's what I would ask for!

Not sure I'd want them messing about with my brand new car but then I suppose they wouldn't replace the whole car? Although that's what I would ask for!

I agree. I'm no consumer law expert but at this early stage I think you are within your rights to reject it outright but you must act now. How can you be sure they won't cobble together a fix that lasts weeks or months before its off the road again? If they replace the box how will you know its new and not recon?

I'd speak to the CAB tomorrow and check on your right to reject. The longer you leave it the more likely you will be stuck with it.

Like Digsy said , Reject it now,,you are totally within your rights under the Sales Of Goods Act...and dont accept the loan car, you want at least another 350z to drive if you accept the repair to your car :surrender:

+1 - dont give them a chance to gobble together a fix. Either new car or completely new box. As Digs says, their fix may only last a few months before you have to go back and do it all again. On something brand new, they should not do fixes, they should replace outright. Unfortunately that will probably mean a wait for a new car to arrive, but at least that one should be pukka.

Like Digsy said , Reject it now,,you are totally within your rights under the Sales Of Goods Act...and dont accept the loan car, you want at least another 350z to drive if you accept the repair to your car :surrender:

+1 - dont give them a chance to gobble together a fix. Either new car or completely new box. As Digs says, their fix may only last a few months before you have to go back and do it all again. On something brand new, they should not do fixes, they should replace outright. Unfortunately that will probably mean a wait for a new car to arrive, but at least that one should be pukka.

+2 REJECT IT.

is the car new, or new to you, but preowned?

Brand new mate...... :dry:

I think I will wait for them to call me today with an explanation.

I will be prepared for them to replace the box with a new one rather than have to go down the reject route but we will see...... How will I know its not been repaired?

This is Marshall Nissan Cambridge............ Lets see how good they really are.

Can't see why they are messing you around, it will be under Nissan manufacturer warranty... so it doesn't cost the dealer and they will get their labour covered by Nissan.

I've had a box replaced before on a Honda which was just coming up to the end of it's manufacturer warranty (dealer added a year on top at purchase)... I told them to do it quick before it hits their part of the warranty and their pockets, they replaced it and a full set of alloys as they were corroded too.

Got to stick on top of them though! hope you get it sorted.

DJ, sorry to hear your having problems mate especially as i know when i met you how much you were looking forward to the Z experience!

I hope they give you answers soon.

Just in case you lose faith in Marshalls in the future there's a very good Nissan dealer at Thetford. Bit out of your way but always bent over backwards to help and in my opinion always did a good job.

P.s Don't forget thoses pics once your all sorted.

Can't see why they are messing you around, it will be under Nissan manufacturer warranty... so it doesn't cost the dealer and they will get their labour covered by Nissan.

I've had a box replaced before on a Honda which was just coming up to the end of it's manufacturer warranty (dealer added a year on top at purchase)... I told them to do it quick before it hits their part of the warranty and their pockets, they replaced it and a full set of alloys as they were corroded too.

Got to stick on top of them though! hope you get it sorted.

To be fair to them they have listenend to my comments and have made the effort to appease my concerns.

As the Z is so reliable normally and this is aparently the first one they have ever known to have a problem.

But as I said, you know when something is seriously wrong, especially with my experience... and you would not think that a whiney gearbox or the major problems last night were acceptable for a brand bew car with less than 500 miles on the clock.

I have visited the dealer this morning to make my case clear and I have been told that on initial inspection, it seems normall again!!!

WTF... I had a sales guy in the car when I drove around the building to the car park, when I dropped it off last night and he said... oh yes thats not right, there is something definately wrong here (the noise) and you can smell the burning oil coming from the box.

As it stands it is being investigated as we speak, and they are dropping out the oil to check for debris... They asked if I would like to be present for this, but I run a very busy business and time is money and I have not got time to be running back and forth. Today was my 4th visit to the dealers since collecting the car on the 1st.

I am awaiting a telephone call..........oh hold on.......

Aha so..... they drained the oil.... no debris, they took it out with new oil and the problem had dissapeared... but on returning to from that test drive.... the noise is back.

The service manager made the call and was great... very understanding and sympathetic.

He has to inform Nissan and he will push as hard as poss for a new box, but they may insist he strips it down to diagnose the faulty components and go for the most economic solution.

He does not want to do that and nor do I so we shall see.

A really good attitude and response from him regarding this.... some faith restored at this point and I get the feeling that their hands are tied to some extent by Nissan....

Will keep you posted....

So while they perform all this investigation work, you get to drive round in a courtesy car and not the one you paid close to Thirty grand for?

I would reject that car full stop. Removing the gearbox and stripping the entire transmission less than 3 days into ownership is unacceptable.

Push as hard as possible for a new box??? WTF? - things make a noise like that when there are parts wearing against one another - which means the box will have premature wear even if they figure the problem and put it back together; which could lead you to needing a new box sooner rather than later - sods law dictates this will be after 3 years and 1 day. leaving you with a big bill.

I think it would be more prudent to wait a little while longer to get a new car than wait a shorter period to get this one back - would you ever feel confident that the box wont break alltogether when you least want it to?

So while they perform all this investigation work, you get to drive round in a courtesy car and not the one you paid close to Thirty grand for?

I would reject that car full stop. Removing the gearbox and stripping the entire transmission less than 3 days into ownership is unacceptable.

Push as hard as possible for a new box??? WTF? - things make a noise like that when there are parts wearing against one another - which means the box will have premature wear even if they figure the problem and put it back together; which could lead you to needing a new box sooner rather than later - sods law dictates this will be after 3 years and 1 day. leaving you with a big bill.

I think it would be more prudent to wait a little while longer to get a new car than wait a shorter period to get this one back - would you ever feel confident that the box wont break alltogether when you least want it to?

I hear you... really I do... I am not sure what to do... If the gearbox is replaced with a new one then the job is done no?

The chances of it having the same problem are minimal, and the rest of the car seems fine. ( at this point)

The car is on contract hire finance so will go back to Nissan in three years.

Why the big call to reject the car? If it was the engine or electronics then I can see the point but a gearbox swap for new is no big deal??

I really do not want to have to deal with all of this and I just wanted sorted.

If I reject the car, I have to wait another few weeks for another one and who's to say that one will be any better, maybe not the gearbox maybe something else. More hastle more time wasted.

I will not except a repaired box thats for sure but a new one will do for me... A few days wait rather than a few weeks.

I would imagine that Nissan will want to compensate me in some way for the inconvenience.

Just as I was about to put a deposit down on a GTR and wait.... the prospect of owning another Nissan right now is not appealing.

Like the GF says... I bet you wish you bought that BMW or Audi now!!

:surrender:

I hear you... really I do... I am not sure what to do... If the gearbox is replaced with a new one then the job is done no?

The chances of it having the same problem are minimal, and the rest of the car seems fine. ( at this point)

The car is on contract hire finance so will go back to Nissan in three years.

Why the big call to reject the car? If it was the engine or electronics then I can see the point but a gearbox swap for new is no big deal??

I really do not want to have to deal with all of this and I just wanted sorted.

If I reject the car, I have to wait another few weeks for another one and who's to say that one will be any better, maybe not the gearbox maybe something else. More hastle more time wasted.

I will not except a repaired box thats for sure but a new one will do for me... A few days wait rather than a few weeks.

I would imagine that Nissan will want to compensate me in some way for the inconvenience.

Just as I was about to put a deposit down on a GTR and wait.... the prospect of owning another Nissan right now is not appealing.

Like the GF says... I bet you wish you bought that BMW or Audi now!!

:surrender:

How will you know that the new 'box is really new and not a recon?

How will you know that the new 'box is really new and not a recon?

because they will put it in writing - and frankly, what's the difference anyway (as long as the direction they take is explained before hand, not after). I am assuming the car is a lease? As such, it's Nissan's call how to treat the car. Here in the US, they don't hesitate at all to replace the entire trans, they don't rebuild them. The service writer he is dealing with sounds like he is doing everything in his power to keep the customer in the loop and work with him as best as possible. At the same time, it's a 2 way street. The trans issues on the Z's were early on in their build life, and then all but disappeared. So, this just may be a situation that is a bit unchartered waters for the service mgr. and as such, he is just covering all his bases by laying the job at Nissan's feet to deal with. Seems perfectly logical to me. While it certainly stinks to have a new car go through teething pains so early on, it is afterall, a car, and it's subject to mechanical quirks, etc. Sounds to me like other dealers, at least to this point, could take some lessons from how this situation is being taken care of thusfar

and frankly, what's the difference anyway

When you are paying top dollar for a new car who wants a recon part on it?

Plus, judging by the experience the majority here in the UK have with the Nissan dealer network, I wouldn't trust most of them to undertake any major work on a Zed. Marshalls may be different but most of them are used to working on Micras and not doing such a great job of that.

A new car should be perfect - that is what you pay for. A repaired car is not a new car in my book, however well repaired it is.