do all JDM models have HID bulbs ??

P15UL T

well, when switching the main beams on they should glow blue for a second before warming up to a bright white, also attached to the underside of the headlamp there is a powerpack although you will only be able to see this with the bumper or the headlight removed.

i am just curious as i know some of the american ones come non HID

any help would be great

Paul

I cant confirm that they are ALL hid, but a lot have hid-capability. However when they are SVA'd, the importer takes out the hid bulbs and bypasses the ballast, thus making them standard headlights. In my case they left it like that, but i've had my headlights out and the ballasts are still there - would just need to un-frig the wiring and buy some bulbs (cheapest i could find is £43ea.)

Chris.

Ive now got a permanent image of a headlight etched onto my retina as a result of staring into the lens trying to see if it starts off blue!!

I think mine does but it's not that blue at first. I don't understand why the bulbs would be changed as part of the SVA, no mention was made of that when I had mine done over here.

Guest prescience
I think it's to do with the fact that we don't have headight washers which is a requirement if you have those bulbs in the UK but not a requirment for an MOT.

+1 :thumbs:

Yup :thumbs:

IIRC the "reasoning" that you need washers for SVA is to do with alignment and scattering effect when dirty rather than any heat issue :)

But its boll*x reasoning as it's not a requirement for MoT :dry:

The only way I am going to be able to tell is to take headlamp off which I am going to have to do anyway.

I've got to remove the bumper anyway to fit different horns, is it straightforward or are there issues with airbag detectors?

The only way I am going to be able to tell is to take headlamp off which I am going to have to do anyway.

I've got to remove the bumper anyway to fit different horns, is it straightforward or are there issues with airbag detectors?

Just a load of bolts, straight forward though :thumbs:

first step is to loosen the front bumper

to do this there are 6 black popper clips under the bonnet (if you have fitted a radiator cooling panel these are the clips that also hold this on)

the next step is to peel back the inner wheels arch liners, you need to do these one at a time whilst having the steering locked to one way to gain access.

once you have peeled back the arch liner look up and you should see 2 10mm bolts that hold the bumper onto the outer wheel arch, remove these on both sides,

your bumper should now pull forward and sit onto the ground, it will still be attached to the undertray and also the washer jets for the lights.

you can now gain access to the bolts that hold on the lights which are 10mm

there is one inside the engine bay

one attaching it to the outer wheel arch

there are 2 underneath the light that you will need to use an extension piece on the socket to reach.

once loose be careful when removing i so as not to scratch you paintwork.

the harness is located at the back of the light and a slotted flat screwdriver is probably best to unclip the 2 parts of the harness.

:thumbs:

Paul

Dream CustomZ

Right then - removed the bumper!! Wasn't too horrendous thanks to the advice received plus use of the search facility.

Took the opportunity to fit upgraded horns, remove the reflectors for later replacement and use the sticky tape supplied with the Ings front spoiler I fitted recently.

Below are pictures of my lights - couldn't see any sign of the HDI 'extras' so presume they were removed and not changed back unless anyone can say otherwise??

PIC_0017.jpg

PIC_0019.jpg

PIC_0018.jpg

:thumbs: yup it seems your importer was in a good mood that day

the bulbs with the bar along the side are the hid bulbs..be gentle with them

it looks like they have disconected them and rewired them with the blue wire conectors in the pics

all seems good i will contact you via pm shortly :thumbs: