Braking query

Murdoch

Hi just a quick one,

When gently slowing down I notice the brakes seem to catch and then let go during the rotation of the wheels, I recently had a P2 service at Nissan and they advised that I have about 5-6k miles left on the current pads.

Also when applying the handbrake once stopped, when I let go of the foot peddle the car seems to shift slightly till the brakes catch.

Is this just me or the Z'd or do I need to get new pads/disks both!?!?

Cheers for any help! May save me visiting a hedge! :teeth:

Sounds like a sticky piston in the caliper or something, did they replace the brake fluid on that service or bleed the brakes? Maybe an airlock in one caliper leading to a delayed reaction??? :wacko:

Ask Bigphil (the source of all Z knowledge), he will prob know.

:D

Unlikely the disc is warped sounds more like a build up of pad material on the disc, often caused by sitting with a foot on the brake after a spirited run , causes a hot spot on the disc allowing the resin from the pad to transfer on to the disc in one position.

Rebed the pads to clean up the disc surface.

A good indicator visually of pad material build up is if the disc is very shiny ie like chrome, the discs should be an even greyish colour.

You would usually get steering shake with warped discs, does it do it if you pump the pump the pedal a few times before braking? if it doesnt then this shows there is air in the system

"Also when applying the handbrake once stopped, when I let go of the foot peddle the car seems to shift slightly till the brakes catch. "

this sounds normal because the footbrake is holding the front and rear brakes, so as as you release it it will move slightly as the suspension moves, if i'm reading what you wrote properly

Unlikely the disc is warped sounds more like a build up of pad material on the disc, often caused by sitting with a foot on the brake after a spirited run , causes a hot spot on the disc allowing the resin from the pad to transfer on to the disc in one position.

This happens from cold and warm, my foot spends 99% of its time on the gogo peddal so I'm pretty sure its not me warming the disks and pads, I pull the handbreak up whilst traveling occasionally to clear the rears a bit extra and that seems to fix it a tiny bit. Could it be a stuck piston doing it!?.

You would usually get steering shake with warped discs

I don't get any sterring wheel judder, just literaly the car (hard to explain but..) feels like its braking say 30% then 20% then 30% then 20% during a single rotation of the wheel without any change to the pressure of the break peddal. Its a weird feeling, I think a check for air might be a good call though...

Put my two-penny worth in.

Not sure the age/mileage of your ZED but do the records show if the brake fluid been changed, particuarly if the car is over 3 years old? I always remember going to a seminar by a Castrol expert telling us about how water gradually builds up in the system - a possibility in your case? Phil or others more in know can say if the ZED's system is susceptible to this problem but if the fluid has been 'diluted' that maybe a cause :unsure:

This happens from cold and warm, my foot spends 99% of its time on the gogo peddal so I'm pretty sure its not me warming the disks and pads, I pull the handbreak up whilst traveling occasionally to clear the rears a bit extra and that seems to fix it a tiny bit. Could it be a stuck piston doing it!?.

You are misunderstanding.

I am not saying it is a warm up situation, once the pad transfer is there it is there until you remove it by re-bedding the disc and pad.

Think of like having a sopt of glue on the disc, as the pad hits it on rotation it will grab at that point more than at other points on the disc.

Give us a call and I can explain in more depth.

I had a simlar thing with mine where I had pad transfer. It was more like a judder for me as I had multiple spots of pad transfer. It did feel like the brakes were catching more on some spots though.

Do your discs have outlines of pads on them? If so get out there and rebed them in, and all should be fine as Phil says :thumbs: