New TTS Review

MrLizard

Yesterday had a call from the guy i broought my first 3 cars from, who kindly (trying to convert me) lent me this: audi_tt_wallpaper03_1024.jpg

So I had a TTS for 3 hours yesterday. Interesting car,

275bhp

4WD

Magnetic Ride

To start with the interior was lovely, as with most top model audi's you get lots of leather all over the place, the seat has so many modes its untrue, the dials do the whole needle sweep thing and then glow a nice blue, like in the VW R32, the boot is a very decent size.

Exterior, I really like the new look audi TT (im not a hairdresser), even though they seem to be multiplying like rabbits in coventry i still had a lot of people looking at it, the quad exhausts look nice, but ive no idea how they sound as the sound deadening was so good.(quite confident it doesnt sound like my K1 on the zed tho :thumbs: )

The front end looks much more agressive than the old one.

Drive, I did a selection of dual carriageway stints and country lane driving.

In my old A3 i had the DSG gearbox, which was awesome, the TTS also had the DSG box, but for some reason it was no where near as responsive, the lag from putting your foot down to the ECU telling the engine to use 'kick down' mode was dreadful. So i thought to myself well okay maybe its trying to be economical then, ill switch it to sport mode.

In sport mode in my old a3 it held every gear as long as it could and you were always in the lowest gear for the speed, so, high revs, on boost.

In the TTS it was still lagging, it still felt like it was trying to get more MPG, which i must add was worse than the 350z in total.

So, the only way to drive the automatic gearbox is in manual mode, using the paddles, which is fine as long as you dont go round a corner, as each paddle is about as large as something that isnt very large at all.

The power delivery in manual mode was good, and when the turbo was spooled it wasnt slow.

The steering was dreadful, not just detached but dreadful, ive driven a selection of sports cars now and i would have to say this is probably the worst, it has the same weight to the steering when you are reverse parking as it does at 70mph round country lanes... i know im used to the zed now but this made no sense, the saleman called it 'safe' but im not so convinced it is.

The handling, oh my, the handling is awesome, with the magnetic ride switched on and on full 'stiffness' it cornered on rails, felt very planted, you could occasionally feel the quattro system scraping for grip but it found some from somewhere even in the wet, the handling for me was its one saving grace, and has pushed me much closer to getting the KW for my zed :)

So all in all, probably a semi-decent commuter car, not as much fun, not as quick, and not as involved as the zed, i would never take it on the track over rear wheel drive and to be honest at £38k i would rather have a second hand porka or RS4

Apologies for the dis-jointed review im working at the same time here :)

ta

MrLizard

• 4 months later...

Know this is a old thread but my 21 year old cousin bought one of these a month or so back, brand new in white, have to say it looks nice and the front LED'S are like marmite but I like them...drove it the other day and I thought the handling is very good!! Lizard you might off seen it, lives off the binley road in the avenues...cousin wouldn't be able to drive this car at all....shame really....

Not as quick as the Zed? Thought it was well faster. . .

stock v stock through corners i think you would be chasin the tts, they have similar 1/4 mile zed pippin it slightly, tt takes off a lot quicker then the power delivery is odd, very smooth for a Twin turbo but didnt feel as quick :thumbs:

Cool review matey however - personally (scarred for life after bad Audi episode a few years ago) I actually prefer the look of the original - this new one just looks too corporate and in line with the rest of the range :yawn:

I did however find 1 thing I would have on it that the Zed needs - the petrol flap does look much better! :p:lol: But you can get those chav stick on ones that every Vauxhall Corsa in the land has now so erm maybe not - he he he :lol:

keep Zedding! ;)