Is this serious..? (Engine Light)

Kuro

Hi folks :)

Well, after several months of trouble free ownership I have my first potential problem. :scare:

My engine management (the amber thing) came on today, and remained steady until I got home, some 3-4 miles.

I phoned one Nissan dealer who said basically stop the car where you are and call the Nissan secret service or whatever. Anyway, doubting his technical prowess I phoned another dealer, who pointed out the information I had recieved had been wrong :angry:

The dealer said it was fine to drive, but if it was consistently on after a number of drives, bring the car in. This ties up with the manual, which says for a solid light, book the car in, and also says 'you do not need to have your car towed'

So, although I'm still under warranty I am having a slight 'code brown' moment. :blush:

Any advice, anyone had this type of thing before..? :wacko:

ps. Check Engine lights, jeez, I thought I had left this crap behind with Scoobydom :surrender:

Guest prescience

Don't worry - knowledge is power; post up the code - we'll see what it is.

Then reset your ECU and if it recurs anytime soon take it in to Nissan, otherwise I would chill

...back, ok then, here goes nowt

after following the instructions (thanks :) ) here's what the car said...

1 long flasg

1 slightly shorter flash (shorter I think?)

6 flashes

7 flashes

I let this repeat a few times to make sure I had it - what's this mean folks :headhurt:

googled - Heated 02 sensor 2 - WTF - are there 3 of these things? - English por favor!!! :blush:

I had one of these let go on my Scooby, does it do the same job?

Does that sound right, are these things prone to that?

So driving it to the stealer shouldn't present much of an issue?

Guest prescience

That doesn't sound like a valid code - see here

http://www.obdii.com/codes.html

and I don't think it can be an 02 sensor heater malfunction (167)

I suggest, since you have mastered the procedure, that you do a reset and see if it recurs and if so, take it in.

I've always known codes to be 3 digits, which is why I questioned it. However all of the codes of 350ztech (the US one) are 4 digits.

Strangely, there are several 02 related codes. Even 1166 is Heated 02 Sensor 2. (I have (i think) 1167.)

Are we saying this is dodgy one?

I had a stopwatch with me, and all seemed to go well, the only off putting bit, was the second flash was marinally shorter than the first. But there were 4 distinct groups. :wacko:

P0166 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 2 Sensor 3)

P0167 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 3)

similar numbers from the link provided above - too much of a co-incidence?

350z tech have these;

P1166 Heated O2 Sensor 2

P1167 Heated O2 Sensor 2

Hi. I had a similar some time ago (provked when turing off the cruise control).

Booked it in, but by the time they could see it (they wanted a whole day!) light had gone out again - I think three or four "normal" journeys and it resets itself.

By the time the dealer had it (and I a Micra) they spent the whole day to tell me they couldn't find anything.

Very annoying... But its been fine since!

Guest prescience

You can use the lights method above but preferably get one of these or similar

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U380-OBD-2-EOBD-C ... dZViewItem

it connects to the OBD 2 port under where the fuel filler release is on the drivers compartment. This can read and erase codes (which also resets all short and long term fuel trims) - more info on this in Tech Manual :)

Nissan use the 'Consult' which hooks up to the same port

• 2 weeks later...
You can use the lights method above but preferably get one of these or similar

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U380-OBD-2-EOBD-C ... dZViewItem

it connects to the OBD 2 port under where the fuel filler release is on the drivers compartment. This can read and erase codes (which also resets all short and long term fuel trims) - more info on this in Tech Manual :)

Nissan use the 'Consult' which hooks up to the same port

mine arrived today, nice easy purchase just got to try it yet before I give a full feedback!