Bit of advice needed for potential owner

lrenno

Right looking at trading my 04 RX8 in for a 350Z but am undecided which to go for. I can probably scrape together around £20k if i try.

But my question is........

276 or 300?

I have seen a few pre facelift ones around for about £16k with reasonable miles on them(is mileage much of an issue with the Z or are they reliable?)

OR.........Do i spend the full £20k on a 56 onwards model for the 300bhp

is there much difference in the 2?

i will be looking to modify a little so the £4k could come in usefull. Is one of them more modifiable than the other etc?

cheers guys

Also one last thing...............why so many great colours? love the blue, orange and gun metal grey :wacko:

+1, get an earlier model which will leave you some cash for a few tasty mods. No real issues with mileage bud.
+2 :)

Best idea is to drive both (back to back if possible) and see if you can feel any major improvement in the performance and interior quality. If not, your decision is made and you can save some bucks. :teeth:

Interesting question.

Agree with drive them back to back.

Always tempted to go for earlier models because of re-sale but in this case not huge differences for it to show up. Of course you get a later reg plate but that is very much a personal thing.

For the difference in money you could alter a few things to make quite a difference on the older car.

If you are not into modding then "scraping" the money together sounds too much of a struggle to me for you so maybe go for the earlier version and see how your finances work out before deciding what to do.

Oh and :welcome:

Ok all sorted, rung the bank manager got myself £10k on its way tomorrow :yahoo: , then need to trade the RX8 should be worth between £8k-£10k that leaves me a nice margin for a Z. Rung the insurance they want an extra £124 for the remaining 6 months of my policy so all sorted just need to find a car :teeth:

The 2006 model with 296bhp actually has less torque than the earlier model therefore meaning not quite as punchy acceleration but higher max top speed which you'd never really see unless on a track, and I too have heard of oil issues with the 2006- early 2007 model. I prefer the front bumper look of the 2006 model but apart from that I would go for an 05 or 55 registration last of the 276bhp model and then modify that. £4800 will get you a full supercharger (stillen) conversion and a nice 370bhp.

Good luck in your search.

The 2006 model with 296bhp actually has less torque than the earlier model therefore meaning not quite as punchy acceleration but higher max top speed which you'd never really see unless on a track, and I too have heard of oil issues with the 2006- early 2007 model. I prefer the front bumper look of the 2006 model but apart from that I would go for an 05 or 55 registration last of the 276bhp model and then modify that. £4800 will get you a full supercharger (stillen) conversion and a nice 370bhp.

Good luck in your search.

All z's are limited to 155mph bud, you will gain about .1 0-60 :yawn: which is not worth anything.

After listening to us owners they have tweaked the interior a little IE removed the centre ashtray and replaced it with a little cubby and put some chrome around the heater dials along with a few other bits and bobs :thumbs:

these bits they've replaced interior wise are they swapable into the older models if you can source them?

cheers for the replies guys

It's mainly the door cards and the centre console so I guess they could be changed. Don't forget though that apart from the interior and the engine, the 06MY had revised headlights, LED rear lights, Bluetooth compatibility and a different front bumper and grille.

It's personal choice but if you are modding then it makes sense to get an early model with a nice set of wheels and exhaust added with the extra. Some left over too depending what you buy!

The 2k6 does come with those things listed about. The bluetooth kit is available for about £100 and 30 secs of your time, the LED rear lights can be swapped over in 30 mins and £240. The rest is minimal - the 06 headlights are nicer but the interior changes are minimal!

Fabulous Chilli Red in our for sale section now. Only a little over £14K and you aren't paying for fancy wheels which may not be to your taste. Lost of money left over for your own wheels and other mods - and red is such a rare and cool colour on the Z IMO.

Hmmm, got a red rx8 at the minute so not really after another red tbh.

As far as an import will i get stung for insurance on it?

Is there any bodywork dimensions or engine differences as far as modding goes? As i will def be looking at induction kits, exhausts, bodykits and spoilers.

Also going to probably buy a kenwood or like double din to replace the clarion(ahem 'bose' system)

Just dont want to be left trying to source parts from japan and paying over the top insurance(sorry 'even more' over the top insurance) :D