alarm/immobiliser on import

relentless

Hi,

What kind of security would my 2002 import have had put in the factory?

It had a cat 2 immobiliser put in when it was put through the SVA. There is a flashing LED on the dash above the dials which looks factory fitted.

Would having an aftermarket immobiliser supercede the factory one (if any). Which would be more secure? Can they both work at the same time?

cheers

Mark

I don't know for certain, but I would have thought they all have NATS put on as standard.

Yes, but they have the JDM NATS system, which is CAT 2 immobiliser only as standard (transponder in key type).

Can test it by taking the key apart, remove the black transponder chip from next to the key-blade (this usually just falls out, so be careful - don't loose it!). Leave it insde the house then try to start your car with the key - won't happen.

No other alarm as standard, the flashing light is just for show!

Any imported car will have had a CAT1 alarm or CAT2-1 upgrade fitted to pass SVA :)

Steve

Can test it by taking the key apart, remove the black transponder chip from next to the key-blade (this usually just falls out, so be careful - don't loose it!). Leave it insde the house then try to start your car with the key - won't happen.

Cheers for that, will give it a try. If it works then its got 2 immobilisers installed - bonus! I heard that the factory fitted one is more secure as its linked into with the ECU?

Mark

I use my after market cat1 alarm fob to lock and unlock which sets the imobiliser/alarm at the same time. The original dash LED also flashes when the car is locked this way. I think its fair to say that would be secure enough and for me trying to use a combination of Nissan fob and new fob would be far too confusing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Right - ive since confirmed that it does have a factory fitted immob which is working along side the aftermarket one i had fitted. I took the transponder out of the keyfob and the engine wouldnt turn over.

Cheers

Mark

Further to this on a JDM (2002) - I only have a single key for my car and am paranoid about losing it - I have just been reading a post about getting a blank key cut (ebay key) and reprogramming the key fob etc - does this reprogramming simple do the buttons (ie remote unlock etc) or does it also program the new transponder for the immobiliser?

Right - ive since confirmed that it does have a factory fitted immob which is working along side the aftermarket one i had fitted. I took the transponder out of the keyfob and the engine wouldnt turn over.

Cheers

Mark

Further to this on a JDM (2002) - I only have a single key for my car and am paranoid about losing it - I have just been reading a post about getting a blank key cut (ebay key) and reprogramming the key fob etc - does this reprogramming simple do the buttons (ie remote unlock etc) or does it also program the new transponder for the immobiliser?

Like you, my import came with only one key, which operates the doors etc., and both the original immobiliser and the Toad alarm/immobiliser fitted at SVA. However, I persuaded my importer to get me a spare key and have it programmed by Nissan. This works fine but it doesn't operate as a remote to open the doors - just disarms the immobilisers and turns the ignition. It cost them a fair bit for that so I didn't push for anything more at the time. I just hope that the main key/remote keeps on working and I don't lose it!

Cheers

Mark

Interesting, I like yourself have only one key. This may be an alternaltive route for me as I was thinking of getting an after market alarm and immobiliser and this will solve me getting a Jap key imported and programmed for a stonking £498 :scare: which I was quoted for by a dealer. I will then get a key off ebay and just get the key cut and the alarm and immobiliser will work off the aftermarket fob. I agree this will cost me more than £500 but its better than paying a stealer almost £500 for a JDM key.

I have a JDM, but was originally imported by Nissan, has two keys and a valet key, no security was fitted other than the immobiliser - but just had a laserline alarm fitted that works off the original Nissan key - i.e no other fobs needed. Included microwave internal sensors (asked them not to fit the external one that "warns" when people get close) and had it done for £350.

Was well worth the money not to have another key fob to carry round.