thin paint!

SunGodRA

I think its safe to say my 350z is the oldest in the country; if not in existence, being the 6th one ever made - and time has definately taken its toll - especially on the paintwork!

Registered in 2002 and I have had it a year now and it is low mileage (27k) but has obviouly been keep outside in the sun all of its life as the paint is really wearing off on the roof. See pics. The paintwork on the roof looks like someone has been at it with a Black and Decker belt sander!! but I am assured this is natural wear and exposure to sun and poor initial spraying. When I bought the car a year ago, it was noticeable and the price did reflect that - but over the last year it has got drastically worse! Also, its only on the roof - rest of bodywork is sound which seems a bit strange?

Poor pic as taken on phone, but the white area ISNT a relection of clouds !! Also the car is dirty and covered in dust and grime...

img007.jpg

img008.jpg

img009.jpg

Until I can afford to get the roof resprayed, can anyone recommend some kind of wax/colourant to put on the blemishes so they dont stand out so much??

Any idea how much a roof respray would cost?

Can anyone recommend a good sprayer in the Kent area?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations

Dave

Wow! That's not just gone through the lacquer (which is what is the thin bit) but the paint as well, down to the primer!

Respray is the only way forward, and it starting on the roof is going to be hard to prove any manufacturing defect. :blush:

Might be worth trying to find a local detailer who can pop round with a paint depth gauge. This will be able to confirm whether its down to the primer or not. If so its probably time for a respray. Luckly it should not be so bad as its quite easy to get the food done with it having very defined edges and no direct panel joins so slight colour differences are also harder to spot after a respray

Excuse for a black roof respray! :teeth:

I had thought about a different colour - not sure if it will ruin the 'lines' of the car - if you know what I mean!

Any idea how much a roof respray would cost? bearing in mind there is no blending needed...??

Excuse for a black roof respray! :teeth:

I had thought about a different colour - not sure if it will ruin the 'lines' of the car - if you know what I mean!

Ant idea how much a roof respray would cost? bearing in mind there is no blending needed...??

Try a PM to shire350z - he's done this in black on a GM and it looks B) - IMHO, of course! :D

That is awful! I'd be getting it resprayed quick! I'd just take it round a few places to get quotes. It might surprise you!

Looks like someone attacked with a rotary polisher and held it on a bit long!