ROTA GTR ALLOY WHEELS

Ricki

Hi guys, I currently have the standard import 17" wheels on my Z. You will agree, they don't look quite right.

I am thinking about buying a set I have seen on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-x-9-5-ROTA-GTR ... m153.l1262

However, I have noticed that the width of the wheels is a lot less than the current standard wheels I have on my Z (35 instead of 50)....

a) Will this look crap

B) Will it effect the handling a noticeable amount (or ability to stick to the road)?

Cheers,

Ricki

Hi Ricki, the 35 & 50 is the profile of the tyre. They are offering the wheels with a 225/40/18 & 255/35/18 which is the most common setup for rear wheel drive staggered fitment wheels however the Z normally runs a 225/45/18 & 245/45/18.

Give Phil a shout and he will beat or match that price I'm sure.

The wheels are also wider than the Rays, by half an inch on the front and an inch on the back. They are the width that I run on my car (8.5"F/9.5"R). Cant remember my exact tyres but they are 245/265 F/R so their 225 seems a little skinny to me. I will post up my exact tyre sizes later if you like.

Cracking looking rims B)

Hi Mate,

I have ROTA's on my DC2. Their's alot of talk about them being replica wheels and because of that there rubbish. Hardly anyone mentions the fact that they are used as OEM wheels for toyota, nissan and subaru etc.. and therefore go through more rigorous testing than most aftermarket wheels. They are also Light AND strong. With my Rota's weighing around 5.1kg's each (15").

Julian at Rarerims is one of the main supplier's of ROTA's in the UK. I have used him on a few occasions and his service is outstanding!

Cheers guys! Went for the Rotas in 18x 9" wide all-round online. Upgraded to a nice tyre package too, as it was @*!# tyres that caused me to come off the road last time (and not my bad dricing :) )

Thanks!

Ricki

Cheers guys! Went for the Rotas in 18x 9" wide all-round online. Upgraded to a nice tyre package too, as it was @*!# tyres that caused me to come off the road last time (and not my bad dricing :) )

Thanks!

Ricki

Why 9'' all round?

Thanks!

Ricki

Why 9'' all round?

You get the concave look all round with that width. A lot of guys in the US run it. :thumbs:

Thanks!

Ricki

Why 9'' all round?

You get the concave look all round with that width. A lot of guys in the US run it. :thumbs:

Not quite true. You could get two pairs of rear wheels (concaved ones) and still have them staggered. They wouldnt quite be the same dish, so if you were to get two rears, I guess you'd get them the same width to keep the dish the same front and rear. Its the fact that they are the rear wheels that gives the dish. Front wheels are flat. You can run either fronts all round or rears all round if you want.

TBH I think I would always go with a stagger. Having front and rear the same width has to have an adverse effect on handling versus the OEM setup.

Thanks!

Ricki

Why 9'' all round?

Not quite true. You could get two pairs of rear wheels (concaved ones) and still have them staggered. They wouldnt quite be the same dish, so if you were to get two rears, I guess you'd get them the same width to keep the dish the same front and rear. Its the fact that they are the rear wheels that gives the dish. Front wheels are flat. You can run either fronts all round or rears all round if you want.

TBH I think I would always go with a stagger. Having front and rear the same width has to have an adverse effect on handling versus the OEM setup.

Eh? AFAIK the Rotas come in different widths and offsets but not "front" and "rear". Its the combination of width and offset which gives the concavity.

The same width rim front and rear shouldn't have an adverse effect on handling but same size tyres front and rear might. :)

Thanks!

Ricki

Why 9'' all round?

Eh? AFAIK the Rotas come in different widths and offsets but not "front" and "rear". Its the combination of width and offset which gives the concavity.

The same width rim front and rear shouldn't have an adverse effect on handling but same size tyres front and rear might. :)

Probably me getting misinformation off my350z then. They bang on about P45F and P45R which are the US GTRs. :surrender:

EDIT:Just been on RareRims and there must be front and rear specific. They do both dished and non dished with the following fitment:

5x114 et25 18x8.5

Thanks!

Ricki

Why 9'' all round?

Probably me getting misinformation off my350z then. They bang on about P45F and P45R which are the US GTRs. :surrender:

Not saying you're wrong mate (probably me) just that I'd never heard of it. Phil will no doubt set me straight in due course. Still can't see a problem with same width rims though - OEM are same width aren't they?

OEM (Rays) are 8/8.5 F/R repsectively. Not sure about the standard wheels. Nismo's are also staggered AFAIK. Dunno, I've just always been told to keep the stagger. Probably wont make much difference. Does look like there are "front" and "rear" specific ones being dished and non dished looking at RareRims.