Oil consumption difference in 2006 model - is it much higher

matth76

Hi

I have heard reports from different people that the 2006 model (with the revised engine with 296bhp) has much higher oil consumption than the earlier model and later 2007 model (which had the whole new engine). Is this true? Has anyone here had issues with the 2006 model or is this all unfounded? What was the reason behind Nissan going to the expense of changing 80% of the engine for just one year before changing it completely in late 2007 to the new 313bhp engine? Was this to sort the alleged oil issue out?

Thanks for any help and information.

Hi

Its the 2007 313bhp thats the 80% rework - the 2006 apparently is supposed to drink a bit more oil than you would expect an RX8 to trough - according to the forum?

- one of the reasons I decided to spend the extra and buy an '07 job, but they have reworked it so that most of the torque is low down and it shows - :yahoo: supposed to pump less poo out the back also but I doubt it! Slighty improved fuel ecconomoy though?

On a par with my Nissan Pathfinder 2.5DCI for low down torque- blimey I can tow sodding horse boxes with the torque in the Zed and it blows the pants off S2000's up hill!! :lol:

There are indeed people that have noticed higher oil consumption on the 2006 engine. Some report up to half a litre every 1000 miles or so.

Personally I find this excessive, and am shocked that Nissan never formaly acknowledged this, let alone provided a fix for 2006 model owners. Gives some indication of how valued we are. I think there has been one person that has had a replacement engine, but most seem to be told it is a "characteristic" of the engine.

Round pistons in oval bores is the cause that some experts have pointed the finger at.

It also seems pot luck whether any individual 06 engine suffers or not. The engine in mine only seems to use oil at what I would consider a normal level.

Autocar had the oil consumption problem with their MY06 and Nissan replaced their engine. Make of that what you will....

More of a problem with the U.S engine's. Mine used a bit upto 8k but now use's non after switching to Amsoil fully synthetic.

Thanks for your replies. Does the new engine with 313bhp in late 2007 have any oil issues? I guess the type of oil used can make a huge difference. Do most use the Nissan approved oil? Is it fully or semi-synthetic?

Thanks for your replies. Does the new engine with 313bhp in late 2007 have any oil issues? I guess the type of oil used can make a huge difference. Do most use the Nissan approved oil? Is it fully or semi-synthetic?

Nothing reported on the new engine as far as i know. ;)

I read somewhere that it's best to run a new engine in on the mineral oil that is supplied, then switch to a synthetic once the engine as bedded in. :thumbs:

Most '06 models have not experienced any problems. I have an '06 myself and it uses not more oil than would be expected.

I've had my 06 MY now for nearly 2 years and it has consistently used about 0.5 litre of oil per 1000 miles. It has done this from day one and has not got any worse or any better. The dealer tells me it is within acceptable tolerances that Nissan determine as being upto 1 litre per 1000 miles.