iPod and Bluetooth adapters?

Guest monkeygirl77

Guest monkeygirl77

Hey all, just bought my beautiful 2003 coupe last week and can't wait to take her for a spin this bank holiday weekend. Have been doing a bit of research into whether I can turn the Japanese components into UK specifics but the threads here suggest we are all waiting for the SatNav solution... So my other two questions are:

1. Can anyone recommend the best way to play your iPod across the stereo? I've checked the Apple Site but their solution uses FM frequencies that aren't compatible with the Jap radios. Also the widely advertised cassette adapters have bad reviews indicating that the power in the fantastic Bose stereo will be lost :scare:

2. I have a Bluetooth lead in the central console but no adapter. Again, any websites I have visited sell an adapter but these aren't compatible with the roadster or jap imports....

Thanks!! :thumbs:

1. The Jap radio won't work, you'll need an aftermarket one and that is a good thing. It's not the best. And it does mean you will then be able to get your iPod connected.

2. You will also be able to add bluetooth to the aftermarker one too. So it does both things.

Welcome to the site! :thumbs:

Or something like this to connect the iPod to the Bose?

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAC-AAI-NIS2-Aux-Input-fits-iPOD-350Z-Altima-Frontier_W0QQitemZ170221976495QQihZ007QQcategoryZ58350QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not used one before and no idea whether it will work with JDM but I plan on finding out when mine is FINALLY ready (5 months and counting...) :yawn:

Don't know why people slate the Bose so much - I thought the one in my UK GT was pretty good especially with the 7 speakers.

:)

1. The Jap radio won't work, you'll need an aftermarket one and that is a good thing. It's not the best. And it does mean you will then be able to get your iPod connected.

Not strictly true H5, :p it can be made to work easily :teeth:

you dont have to fork out for a new head unit , new iso block, 1 din enclosure, fitting and new tray to full the gap

the Jap bose radio operates with a FM frquency of 76–90 MHz unlike the UK one that operates @ 88 - 108 MHz - so you can only pick up radio 2 but you can get a FM freqency shifter of 14 or 18MHz for £5 off ebay, which will give you a bandwidth of 90 - 104 or 94 - 108MHz and you will be able to pick up most if not all radio stations.

Its a simple job to fit, hardest part is getting the radio out then it just plugs into the arial socket and has 1 wire to attach to any live supply. :thumbs: or get one fitted for about £20 - 30 and save yourself the hassle.

Then you can get any FM transmitter for your Ipod. but if you not bothered about the radio, I found this one that operates @ 88 - 108MHz so should be ideal and it just plugs into your Ipod, you dont even need a separate power supply as it is powered by your ipod :thumbs:

full+range+mini+fm+transmitter+for+ipod+white+88108mhz-7812.jpg

http://www.oknewshop.com/products/full- ... -6045.html

comes in black or white and only £6 :yahoo:

to be honest any FM transmitter that operates between 76 and 90Mhz should work, most Ive seen operate somewhere around 88Mhz

Not strictly true H5, :p it can be made to work easily :teeth:

you dont have to fork out for a new head unit , new iso block, 1 din enclosure, fitting and new tray to full the gap

the Jap bose radio operates with a FM frquency of 76–90 MHz unlike the UK one that operates @ 88 - 108 MHz - so you can only pick up radio 2 but you can get a FM freqency shifter of 14 or 18MHz for £5 off ebay, which will give you a bandwidth of 90 - 104 or 94 - 108MHz and you will be able to pick up most if not all radio stations.

Its a simple job to fit, hardest part is getting the radio out then it just plugs into the arial socket and has 1 wire to attach to any live supply. :thumbs: or get one fitted for about £20 - 30 and save yourself the hassle.

Then you can get any FM transmitter for your Ipod. but if you not bothered about the radio, I found this one that operates @ 88 - 108MHz so should be ideal and it just plugs into your Ipod, you dont even need a separate power supply as it is powered by your ipod :thumbs:

full+range+mini+fm+transmitter+for+ipod+white+88108mhz-7812.jpg

http://www.oknewshop.com/products/full- ... -6045.html

comes in black or white and only £6 :yahoo:

How many people have found the frequency shifters to work? ;)

I suppose only the 1 - ME :lol:

Sorry H5 you left yourself wide open there

I can only speak for myself as Ive got one fitted and my Bose picks up all FM stations, the only querk is that the radio stations appear at a lower frequency on the display eg Radio 1 is 80.6 on my Jap Bose instead of 98.6 (because of the 18Mhz shifter) but once they are programed in who cares what the display reads ;)

I've been using one of these since Last august - and never looked back- ignore the duff comments about hiss etc in this particular review - sound quality is superb

(Logic3 FM Transmitter & Car Charger )

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electro ... MP3+Player

Transformed my long hours in the car every week - no need for CD's and it charges your Ipod when you want - also an offshoot cable for other 3.5mm jack socket equipement. :thumbs::thumbs:

Hope this helps

I think the reviews tend to differ based on location. If you live in a more rural location they are generally quite good but not so hot if you live in or a near a large city. As you live near Manchester I guess you fit into the latter so it's all good :)

I'm about 10 miles from the city of London and not had much luck with these types of products.. Or using my top 4 gears :lol:

Guest monkeygirl77

you'll need an aftermarket one and that is a good thing....add bluetooth to the aftermarker one too. So it does both things.

Might be a daft question... but when you mean an aftermarket model - do you mean I need to buy a replacement stereo etc? Sorry, am new to the world of technical car speak :wacko: Any recommendations to get all the music / ipod / bluetooth capability?

And I agree with the comments re the Bose - I don't know why people are so against it, I'v been enjoying Radio 2 on 7 speakers :lol:

As you live near Manchester I guess you fit into the latter so it's all good

I understand what your saying but I drive to North Wales everyday and due to traffic conditions - sometimes have to divert near strong transmission sources such as Manchester Airport , and also a bit near Cheadle which has a local radio station quite nearby - thats the only time it gets a little interference but its only for a few mins - all in all not bad for £16! I think they ripped off the Belkin version which is twice the price!

It has a 10 metre transmission radius which is more than enough to cloud the car aerial with your transmission.

Anyway good luck with your search - deffo get one for your Ipod you wont regret it :thumbs:

:welcome: to the club monkeygirl

I suspect with your Z being a JDM that you don't have all the phone bits. You will need a cradle, vluetooth adaptor and the control unit. If you just have a lead with a white socket on the end in the glovebox then this is probably the case.

Some more info here and what part you need to get

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13358

I suppose only the 1 - ME :lol:

Sorry H5 you left yourself wide open there

I can only speak for myself as Ive got one fitted and my Bose picks up all FM stations, the only querk is that the radio stations appear at a lower frequency on the display eg Radio 1 is 80.6 on my Jap Bose instead of 98.6 (because of the 18Mhz shifter) but once they are programed in who cares what the display reads ;)

I stand corrected! :)

:welcome: to the club monkeygirl

I suspect with your Z being a JDM that you don't have all the phone bits. You will need a cradle, vluetooth adaptor and the control unit. If you just have a lead with a white socket on the end in the glovebox then this is probably the case.

Some more info here and what part you need to get

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13358

or Mike she could just get a Tomtom with bluetooth included and you get sat nav and bluetooth for the price of (or more likely much cheaper) the nissan bluetooth bits and bobs - it will fit in you cubbyhole perfectly so you can hide it out of the way from the robbing thieving gypsies when you park up, but I'm getting off track

Monkeygirl the previous post was implying that you get a new stereo (aka head unit) but as I pointed out you dont need to bother, just get the radio band expander fitted and for £30 your fantastic Bose unit will be up and running, the Bose stereo set up is not as great as you may think but its ok for most non high fidelity audiophiles. :p

If I was you Id get the FM transmitter first, one that operates with at least 1 frequency below the Jap 90mHz max limit and see if it will work - it should do and its only £6 to £10 - this wont of course sort your radio out for that you need the Radio band expander :thumbs: