Tax query, anyone help?!

shire350Z

Know this has been already covered but anyways,

Tax is due by the end of the week nearly crossed the 12months box but when does the higher tax come in?!

If not before the end of the year i might aswell go for 6months which would take me until the end of the year and then i can go for 12months which would buy me 6 months without paying the £400 or so ?!

This work or am i talking rubbish :lol:

well says on that page that tax discs taken out after the 13th march 08 will apply to these charges but in our case thats for cars registered on or after 23/03/06

mines a 04 but doesnt say mine will be raised or will it not?!

Im with you shire... i've been thinking about this myself.

From what i've gathered, pre-'06 cars will go up from March 2009 to £300, and then to £440 in March 2010.

So, if you buy 12 months now at £220, but then by your next 12 months at end of Feb next year, thats the best possible solution for you.

You'll be wasting 3 months of the existing tax (3x£18=£54), but that'll still be cheaper than paying the full £300 (£220 + £54 wasted = £274 for next years tax) - taking you to Feb 2010 - and then you can take the £300 tax for 2010-2011 as its before March, and not pay the £440 until 2011.

Doing this would save you £26 next year, but then £140 the following year.

Whether or not the dvla alows you to tax your car before the disc expires i dont know... but they must do surely, i.e. if you've just bought a car, or if you declare it sorn... there'll be a way to do it - can anyone confirm?

Im just throwing out ideas here so please check out what i've said before you commit to it :headhurt: And if anyone else can confirm or deny my theory??

just looking at my renewal notice now (£185 for 12 months **cough**) and it says in red writing on the top "DO NOT APPLY FOR YOUR TAX DISC BEFORE THE 15TH DAY OF THE MONTH BEFORE THE TAX DISC IS DUE TO START"

Hope all you pre-06 owners out there are grateful to us currently subsidizing you lot :dry:

But, hey its only money and in fact by by shopping around I have just saved £120 on the insurance so bye, bye, Privilege and hello Admiral with legal/NCD protection, and the wifes 3 points, for £307. :thumbs:

I think you're plan will work Shire.

At the moment (i.e 2008) its only post -06 cars that are affected by the high road tax but this is about to change next year - my understanding was that pre-06 cars would be going up to £440 in March 09 then £455 in 2010. So if you can get 12 months tax at the tail end of this year or early next year and do the same the next year then you wont end up paying full whack till 2011.

just looking at my renewal notice now (£185 for 12 months **cough**) and it says in red writing on the top "DO NOT APPLY FOR YOUR TAX DISC BEFORE THE 15TH DAY OF THE MONTH BEFORE THE TAX DISC IS DUE TO START"

Thats just to make sure you dont get it a month early - if you buy on the 10th of the month for example, it would be inclusive for that month, so you would only get 11 months + 20 days instead of a full 12 months.