350z Track day

Took the Z to its first track evening at brands on Wednesday. Absolutely loved it, was the first time I’ve really been able to push the car hard since I  brought it a few months ago. Car is still completely stock so learned a few areas I definitely need to improve the car for future track days along with improving my driving too. 

I was happy with how the car managed apart from some brake fade which I already expected beforehand with the stock brakes. I did change the fluid to 660 motul before which im sure helped.

however I definitely need to change out the standard discs so I am thinking of going to the DBA discs with ferodo pads. 

as for tyres which definitely need changing anyway as there already on the limit legally anyways - I have been recommended Yokohama A052s with a 235/40 - 265/40 on the standard rays 18 which I’ve already got. Car currently has 225/45s front and 245/45s rear which I have no idea how this would compare. 

Does anyone have any feedback with this setup or opinions/other options to look into?

I know this is quite an expensive setup so not sure if I should choose something better value. I was thinking of buying another set of rims to so I can change out for track day sets and just Road use sets.

092d2fac-a43d-4568-8b54-17dc1b40d34d.jpeg

255 are biggest i would go on rear rays wheels, 235 should be ok for fronts, going to 40 profile will mean car will sit a little lower so will alter the geo/toe 

The A052 are a mega tyre but if you are not competing the car against the clock/racing then your better with another option as they wear quicker than just about any other tyre, the new nankang crs are similar price but supposed to wear much better then there are all manner of semi slicks that are cheaper and better wearing albeit with not the outright grip of an A052

if you have the money your as well buying another set of wheels for the track, then you can get wider wheels and tyres for more grip.

• Like 1

Ditto re the 255 rears, ideally all you'd want is a square setup ie x4 rear wheels all round. Personally I'd go for the new AD09, they'll be more than enough grip for a 350z plus last circa 35% longer. 

• Like 1

I always run a stock disc on track, it's the pads that do most of the work, if you were getting fade it will be your pads, so if your going ferod hopefully ds2500 oor similar. Tyres I'd just go for an uhp tyre PS4s, eagle F1 etc, more than capable and great in wet or just going to the shops. When Misha ragged my z at nurburgring hitting 160mph was just using stock discs but had ebc rp1 pads and on eagle F1 supersports without issue

• Like 1

21 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Ditto re the 255 rears, ideally all you'd want is a square setup ie x4 rear wheels all round. Personally I'd go for the new AD09, they'll be more than enough grip for a 350z plus last circa 35% longer. 

Just been looking at the AD09s on a few review pages and they seem like the best option for me for what I need it for plus they’re slightly cheaper too. 

I have researched about square setups a bit and seem to get mixed opinions on it but seems like it helps with any understeer. 
might be a silly question but does it affect the appearance much? Not sure if the fronts will stick out much or is it not noticeable? (Not that I’m really bothered just curious) bear in mind it’s still got stock suspension but I will be looking at changing for coilovers and adjustable arms in the winter anyway.

Would you still slightly stagger the tyres on a square setup? 
Looks like you have to go for at least 245 on the front for an 18inch on demon tweets to unless I’m mistaken.

21 hours ago, Eddie_r32 said:

I always run a stock disc on track, it's the pads that do most of the work, if you were getting fade it will be your pads, so if your going ferod hopefully ds2500 oor similar. Tyres I'd just go for an uhp tyre PS4s, eagle F1 etc, more than capable and great in wet or just going to the shops. When Misha ragged my z at nurburgring hitting 160mph was just using stock discs but had ebc rp1 pads and on eagle F1 supersports without issue

Yeah fair enough probably will just start with pads then and see how that goes.

Think I’ll definitely get the ds2500 pads. Would you bother swapping the pads out for another set for Road use or is that over the top? I occasionally daily the car but am lucky enough to have a van for the daily most of the time. 
Do you run braided lines too or are there any other brake mods you’d recommend? 

Just seen your video btw 👌🏼

Braided lines help in 2 ways one is brake feel the other is heat resistance so they will make a difference which you may or may not feel, they can be a pain to do as unions may not undo as well as they used to. I bought a second set of pads for my 370z two years ago. They are still in the box

• Like 1