vortech impeller swap

v6bandit

Hey UK people

I need a new impeller for my vortech v3 centrifugal supercharger but they are expensive.

I found a china supplier that makes a billet aluminum impeller that's a slightly different design and that's a bit smaller but would still fit in the housing and give about 3mm gap clearance in the outlet.

So why can't I run a smaller impeller hmmm? Tell me why, and I know one of you guys is gonna say something about efficiency or something but you know this blower is already rated for 800HP and I only need about 8psi for around 400 HP. So then the slightly smaller impeller should work then right?

Honestly I'm not about to spend 500 bucks on a aftermarket impeller when they can be had for a fraction of the cost.

Ps. Please don't make fun of me for being cheapo. 😭

I have no experience of the cheap Chinese impeller that you are referring to, however, it will cost more than 500 bucks for an engine rebuild if the impeller disintegrates. Do the maths.

I don't think it will disintegrated because they list the specific metal type and the 500 dollar aftermarket ones are of similar quality and design.

I just want to know what the effects of running a smaller turbine are which doesn't fill the volute to the same tight tolerances.

I had a new impeller fitted and used vortech themselves in the states I took the opportunity to upgrade to the si impeller over the sci which netted a few more psi 

I definitely wouldn't trust anyone other than vortech to do the job and I don't think they will sell you parts 

This being said I did come across a UK guy the other day thats rebuilding a load of chargers and seems to do things correctly so might be worth a chat with him regarding the aftermarket impellers you talk of 

https://www.facebook.com/UKSuperchargerRepairs

Good luck