350z GT4 model

MONKEYSOCKS

Hi Guys, apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Had my car for last 6 years, it's done 54000 miles so far. Seen alot of people over the years go on about oil issues on the revup motors, and I know that the GT4 was the first revup motor. Touch wood, I've never had any issues with oil consumption, but without any concrete article of the difference between the GT4 and the later revup models I have heard people say things like the Pistons on the GT4 were still de which prevents the oil issues, or even that the GT4 was just built better than the later revup models because they made so few of them. None of this could be true of course, but just wondered if anyone had any more information to go on? 

Good luck trying to find that out. I've trawled the internet for months trying to find out the differences in these engines.

From what I've read 35th anniversary is also known as the GT4 (or based on it) so maybe that might help.

I do know that in the revup workshop manual, 35th anniversary edition differences are stated.

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm_download=350Z/Coupe/2005/em.pdf

As far as I know the "GT4" name was a Nissan Marketing UK embellishment for the 35th Anniversary Edition and is therefore only a UK model. I know the Limited Edition numbered plates were put on the cars at Sunderland when arriving in the UK, and the Sony PS2s with the Yellow 350Z image on the pack were provided by Dealers at PDI time.  In fact, Nissan UK were caught out by claiming the GT4 wheels were unique as they continued to be supplied on cars in other parts of Europe, and when the 350Z came to the end of its production run manufacturing said the last models would have only those wheels! UK got round that by claiming the last produced cars were also a "Limited Edition"... (those cars wheels were a darker silver (grey) than those on the UK GT4s).

It's interesting that there's a low mileage 350Z advertised on Ebay at the mo as a GT4 when it clearly is not. I'm guessing the seller got confused between the "GT" cars (boot spoiler and Brembo brakes) and the GT4. I also dont believe any non-GT 350Zs were sold by Nissan in the UK. Any around without Brembos are probably oem imports.

4 hours ago, SWoMP said:

I also dont believe any non-GT 350Zs were sold by Nissan in the UK. Any around without Brembos are probably oem imports.

There are plenty of UK non GT spec 350z, they're called Touring model. These came with cloth seats, no Bose or cruise control. 

I would say the GT4's had the same engine as the facelift cars, no reason to think otherwise.

Edited by davey_83

8 hours ago, Cosmic73 said:

Good luck trying to find that out. I've trawled the internet for months trying to find out the differences in these engines.

From what I've read 35th anniversary is also known as the GT4 (or based on it) so maybe that might help.

I do know that in the revup workshop manual, 35th anniversary edition differences are stated.

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm_download=350Z/Coupe/2005/em.pdf

Yeah, the GT4 is the anniversary edition which is mine. 

6 hours ago, SWoMP said:

As far as I know the "GT4" name was a Nissan Marketing UK embellishment for the 35th Anniversary Edition and is therefore only a UK model. I know the Limited Edition numbered plates were put on the cars at Sunderland when arriving in the UK, and the Sony PS2s with the Yellow 350Z image on the pack were provided by Dealers at PDI time.  In fact, Nissan UK were caught out by claiming the GT4 wheels were unique as they continued to be supplied on cars in other parts of Europe, and when the 350Z came to the end of its production run manufacturing said the last models would have only those wheels! UK got round that by claiming the last produced cars were also a "Limited Edition"... (those cars wheels were a darker silver (grey) than those on the UK GT4s).

It's interesting that there's a low mileage 350Z advertised on Ebay at the mo as a GT4 when it clearly is not. I'm guessing the seller got confused between the "GT" cars (boot spoiler and Brembo brakes) and the GT4. I also dont believe any non-GT 350Zs were sold by Nissan in the UK. Any around without Brembos are probably oem imports.

That's interesting about the wheels.

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

There are plenty of UK non GT spec 350z, they're called Touring model. These came with cloth seats, no Bose or cruise control. 

I would say the GT4's had the same engine as the facelift cars, no reason to think otherwise.

Would make sense that the later revup is exactly the same engine as the GT4, just read some things over the years on the forums saying there were subtle differences. The main thing is I'm not burning oil which I'm obviously happy about. I know people tend to sort out the gallery gaskets on the HR's, wondering whether it's worth changing the valve/rocker cover just to be on the safe side? Or is it just a matter of if it's not broken don't fix it?

The matter of the gallery gaskets is mainly for the 370z as they don't have an oil pressure gauge whereas the HR does. Re the valve covers, when they start to leak beit down the spark plug/s or around the perimeter it's not a show stopper and is identifiable with oily tips or visually in the engine bay misting on the head/s. 

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

The matter of the gallery gaskets is mainly for the 370z as they don't have an oil pressure gauge whereas the HR does. Re the valve covers, when they start to leak beit down the spark plug/s or around the perimeter it's not a show stopper and is identifiable with oily tips or visually in the engine bay misting on the head/s. 

Hi mate, thanks for that. Getting mrev2 spacer fitted soon when I get remap so I'm sure they'll spot if there is oil where it shouldn't be. 👍

12 hours ago, MONKEYSOCKS said:

Hi mate, thanks for that. Getting mrev2 spacer fitted soon when I get remap so I'm sure they'll spot if there is oil where it shouldn't be. 👍

Nice one fella, got a picture of the mrev2 spacer? Never heard of it before 

22 hours ago, davey_83 said:

I've checked my notes and with a couple of friends who had early cars, and I was wrong - sorry! There was a base model and one of the differences was they didn't have Rays wheels. However (I'm told) they did have Brembos, unlike the rest of the world Base models which didnt.

And, fwiw, the GT4 was the first to get the Rev-up engine, which later in 2005 was adopted as standard.

8 hours ago, SWoMP said:

I've checked my notes and with a couple of friends who had early cars, and I was wrong - sorry! There was a base model and one of the differences was they didn't have Rays wheels. However (I'm told) they did have Brembos, unlike the rest of the world Base models which didnt.

And, fwiw, the GT4 was the first to get the Rev-up engine, which later in 2005 was adopted as standard.

No worries pal, only know what we know. Lastly on the wheels matter, the RAYS weren't a GT thing but we're option alloys for both the Touring and GT models, not standard on the GT.