My Winter project 350z engine rebuild

Cosmic73

One advantage of working for an engineering firm is that I can use the gauge lab facilities to measure my block and pistons with real hitec equipment.

Considering all bores are stamped as grade 2 on the block, they've all stayed at grade 2 except cyl 6 which opened up to grade 3, however very little taper on them all.

Pistons were also all grade 2 and remain grade 2 so happy days.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Managed to sourced a refurbished revup crankshaft and bearings from Conceptua tuning. The runouts and diameters are spot on which was a relief.

So, the rebuild has officially begun.

Below is the fitted crank and mains ladder.

I should have a set of Wiseco pistons arriving next week, 95.5mm with 11:1CR so fitting them is the next job.

IMG_20240120_125304241.jpg.817fc0af5942ba009003095c3f2c93b1.jpg

• Like 3

Just had a very near miss while fitting my new Wisceco pistons.

All going well but when fitting the end cap on piston 5, it didn't feel right and took ages to bite. Crank totally locked so after removing the cap, I realised the bearing had turned a little and got crushed.

Total schoolboy error as I thought I checked it first but obviously I didn't.

Luckily, the crank isn't marked but I need a new  oversized .25mm rod bearing to replace, if anyone has a spare lying around?

IMG_20240128_102034577.jpg.45eb64cc7a3b2a46eb7b382602a78235.jpg

Fitted all my shiney new Wiseco pistons and everything's turning nice and sweet.

After being badly let down by a certain supplier, ive found a superb one who really does deliver the goods.

Back on track at last.

IMG_20240203_121008210.jpg.adb37cab262365d08b8288a9385c1fee.jpg

• Like 2

Refitting the engine back into the transmission was a pain as it just wouldn't slot and kept jamming.

I used slider studs and everything, had it all lined up but no luck.

Pulled it back, lubed up the gearbox shaft and it slotted straight in!

Happy days 🙂

IMG_20240208_192134238.jpg.1b089b4756c023bb32865f3edb0d8587.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FossilFish said:

Coming along nicely. On course for it to be completed pre April ready for summer.

Bet you can't wait

I'm going to try and have ready for March and take it to Motorcycle museum meet, but April is just as good.

Yeah, I can't wait to get it running, very excited 😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FossilFish said:

Unfortunately I'm working that weekend but will aim for meet where I can see all your hard work.

Nice skills BTW, I wish I could tackle such work.

It's actually not that difficult. Yes, it's complex, but the Nissan workshop manual is excellent and very clearly laid out.

So really, it's just a case of having the right tools and going through each paragraph 1 step at a time.

The only difficulty was being let down by a cr#p supplier.

Edited by Cosmic73

1 hour ago, ShortPaul said:

You sound very modest,you should except credit for the work you are doing😉its not a job anyone could do, even if you do have the correct tools👍

Cheers mate, but i'll happily take any credit once it's got a few trouble free miles under it's belt

• Like 1

This evening the secondary chains and sprockets have been fitted.

Also, comparing my old primary chain against the new, there's very little wear, maybe a mm or 2, so not bad for 140k miles

IMG_20240214_204336792.jpg.45df2ba9dbee6976e1f0a5fd38ed7c84.jpg

IMG_20240214_191238547.jpg.2a094078c9771b805f817aeda24a7f11.jpg

Edited by Cosmic73
  • Like 1

On 15/02/2024 at 20:58, davey_83 said:

Can't see that tab being left in

You're right, I pulled it out and it released the tensioner. What confused me was it also came with a pin fitted into the small hole which I already pulled out, believing that was the release method.

Obviously must have 2 release methods in this tensioner for some reason.

• Like 1

Tried to fit the timing cover yesterday and it just wasn't happening. Trying to line up the dowels squeezes the rubber crescent seal out the housing.

I'm going to press out the dowel pins and see if goes in any easier.