Wheel and tyre width, where's the sweet spot??

davey_83

Watched this a few days back, makes very interesting viewing although the caveat is they only tested one tyre type, one wheel make and at one track (small test track) 

So results might and no doubt will, vary significantly with different setups, and cars/drivers for that matter.

BUT, taking it at face value, who knew the stretched tyre look is actually faster than the "normal" straight sidewall. All the show car stance boys laughing at us now. Also questions the unsprung weight argument as the wider wheels were all faster than the narrower options with the same size tyre fitted, even though they obviously weigh more?

Would be interested to know what setups actual race teams have tried and/or run as that's more real world info I would like.

• Like 1

Interesting test, would have been good to see a few different types of tyre with contrasting sidewall constructs.

I recently went from 275/25R19 | 305/35/R19 Pilot Super Sports to 285/35/R19 | 325/30/R19 Pilot Sport 4S on my car and find it the 4S a much better tyre, but they are less stretched. That difference is from the sidewall strength IMO (awaits Dan to tell me I am talking rubbish ...... 😂)

I believe Dan will say, you went from a very good however worn tyre to a new and better tyre so would struggle to provide a comparison re the difference in size you've mention.

@G1en definitely on the face of it in that particular test, going overly wide feels worst and isn't as quick on the track. 

Just now, davey_83 said:

I believe Dan will say, you went from a very good however worn tyre to a new and better tyre so would struggle to provide a comparison re the difference in size you've mention.

Worn .... LOL .... I only did 3k miles on them 😂