Valve cover replacement

sunsetorangezed

Hi all, 

Did some servicing this weekend and noticed some oil on the first plug I pulled. Research shows valve cover replacement time. 

Had a good quote from @ZMANALEX in new parts. However looking at the job I'm not sure it's something I want to be undertaking in the evenings after work etc out in my parking space.. 

MY experience is fairly limited ,have good tools, seen engine work been done but this would be my first time doing this myself. 

how long should I expect it to take? Anything difficult to be aware of? 

or should I consider getting a quote from an independent garage? 

what would you expect labour cost to be for it?

Thanks for your support! I'll get the plugs back in at least so I can drive it!

• Like 1

Replaced mine just before the holidays for the same reason, very common sadly however not a major problem to sort out. If you can fit a plenum spacer, you can replace the valve covers. Never done it before and taking my time took 2 hours to remove everything, an hour sadly to clean up all the old sealant as way too much had been used from a previous repair and another 2 hours to build back up. Having done it now, without the clean up job would say 3hrs start to finish. 

Things to be mindful of, the rubber hose that links the 2 valve covers is known for splitting. Be sure to use a bit of gasket maker in the front corners as per the manufacturers pdf. Make sure of course the valve cover gasket stays in place during fitment.

Difficulty 2/5

https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/111683-db-nissan-350z-gt-05/?do=findComment&comment=1863355

Edited by davey_83
  • Thanks 1

As above, ^^^ easy to fit, just take your time and be methodical.

I have sold hundreds of these kits and most go DIY.

I can send you over the pages from the Nissan Workshop Manual which will include the full tear down and reassembly procedures.

I do these in 2 hours, however it will probably take you 4 hours if first time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1