Brake Pedal Travel....Advice/Experience of it

Dicky

My 2004 car has displayed this same problem from new. You apply the brake and there’s a noticeable travel before pedal resistance is felt. If I apply the brake, take my foot off and apply it again I get a good solid pedal feedback. It’s not a big deal although it is annoying.

I remember years ago I asked the service manager what it could be and he suggested a servo issue. Years later I had the brake fluid changed by another Nissan dealer who made a real mess of it unable to get a firm pedal. I consulted the forum and got info on the correct bleeding sequence which solved the problem after which I noticed there was no travel whatsoever on the brake pedal. This lasted for quite a long maybe a year but then reverted to pedal travel again.

Anyone experienced this and resolved it or can offer possible culprits.

Potentially there’s a seal gone somewhere, in the calliper itself. You won’t notice fluid loss, but the fluid passes the seal upon application so you get an initial soft pedal until you get the compression. I’d suggest redoing the calliper piston seals as it’s cheap, along with the obvious fluid change and bleed procedure, see how you get on. 

That being said, if it only does it once a year then maybe just bleed it to fix it and consider it an annual maintenance job. 

3 hours ago, Dicky said:

My 2004 car has displayed this same problem from new. You apply the brake and there’s a noticeable travel before pedal resistance is felt. If I apply the brake, take my foot off and apply it again I get a good solid pedal feedback. It’s not a big deal although it is annoying.

I remember years ago I asked the service manager what it could be and he suggested a servo issue. Years later I had the brake fluid changed by another Nissan dealer who made a real mess of it unable to get a firm pedal. I consulted the forum and got info on the correct bleeding sequence which solved the problem after which I noticed there was no travel whatsoever on the brake pedal. This lasted for quite a long maybe a year but then reverted to pedal travel again.

Anyone experienced this and resolved it or can offer possible culprits.

Cheers Ekona, thanks for that. My mind was centred around the servo or master cylinder.

I guess the annual bleed job would be the easy option but then again I’d love to experience the feeling of triumph over an annoyance that’s given me grief all these years.👍

Edited by Dicky

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

Potentially there’s a seal gone somewhere, in the calliper itself. You won’t notice fluid loss, but the fluid passes the seal upon application so you get an initial soft pedal until you get the compression. I’d suggest redoing the calliper piston seals as it’s cheap, along with the obvious fluid change and bleed procedure, see how you get on. 

Absolute rubbish:  :lol:

15 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

You’d think so, wouldn’t you? And yet that was the EXACT issue I suffered with for aaaaages on my old MR2 trackpig that took me forever to actually diagnose, hence mentioning it. Theoretically impossible I agree, but that was the cause. Drove me nuts! 

Fluids are weird things, hence why I got out of plumbing :lol:

On 15/02/2022 at 16:00, Ekona said:

You’d think so, wouldn’t you? And yet that was the EXACT issue I suffered with for aaaaages on my old MR2 trackpig that took me forever to actually diagnose, hence mentioning it. Theoretically impossible I agree, but that was the cause. Drove me nuts! 

Fluids are weird things, hence why I got out of plumbing :lol:

Cheers lads, soon as the weather improves ill get at it. Thanks for the help, Zman as well. As for plumbing, I see your point, if ever I attempt a plumbing job water gets everywhere, I'm sure it has a vindictive side cos even going to the toilet it finds a way to miss the bowl and pee the wife off.😂