Oil Pressure - Gauge or Sender

daveo132

Hi,

I'm at a bit of a loss.

Last year my Oil pressure went from reading fine until one day it maxed out at 120psi.

That would normally lead you to the sender being faulty.

I had that replaced but then the gauge hardly read anything.  It was basically at 0 on idle.

So figuring it was a faulty sensor I ordered a new one from Zman.

I finally fitted that today and now I'm back at 120psi (before the engine starts)

I'm a bit lost here.  There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the car so that leaves me at either bad luck and its a DOA sensor or a problem with the gauge.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Don't want to keep throwing money at it.

I'm wondering if in the middle of all of this, oil gallery gasket failed?

That being said, mine is a Rev-up and all signs point to that issue only affecting the HR?

Edited by daveo132

Thanks sounds like a good shout. 

I was speaking to zman in the background and he also said about ground testing. 

That being said I think I'm going to take it to nisstec over in Swansea. 

It's hard to get the car up high enough to work on, don't really want to repeat it again! 

• Like 1

Zman will know better than I would so glad im sort of on track with the earthing view.

Other option if you're going to get it in the air, maybe an aftermarket sensor and gauge would be a better option than trying to find a dodgy wire that could be behind the dash ?

My preference would be to get the factory one working (even if its not that accurate it'll be staring at me)

If that doesn't work, well I guess I'm adding some gauges.... 🤫

Anyone know the thread of the pressure sensor.

Oh dear.  This will be a slippery slope lol

• Like 1

about time I started messing with the car again.

There are a few things I want to do but it fell off the end of my ever longer list of things to do! 😆

also @Willsy1980 if you can direct me to any nice installs of gauges that would be nice (I mean dangerous!).

If I get oil pressure I may as well get temp to

So I have now found an oil sandwich plate for sensors, Oil temp and pressure sensors and gauges.

Oh dear...

I'm looking at VDO gauges as they'll be a good match for the OEM gauges in look and colour.

What have you started 🤣

Edited by daveo132

Taking it down to Niss-tec on Wednesday to get a proper pressure gauge on it.

Really hoping that it shows fine on there.

Next place would probably be the OEM gauge itself, but I seriously thinking about taking them out and adding my own.

On 14/04/2021 at 14:14, daveo132 said:

Good news.

Oil pressure is perfect.

Whatever the issue actually is, its electrical.

I'll probably change the gauges next but at least I know the car itself is fine.

@ZMANALEX @Willsy1980

Good news indeed, must be a bad ground or knackered wire somewhere then. Sometimes electrical gremlins are worse than a mechanical issue. Harder to get to the bottom of.