Remind me never to go near an Audi again

BOINC UK

I have had my 2005 350Z Roadster for 9 years now and the only things that have gone 'wrong' were rear discs needing replacing (my own fault - should have checked pads) and a screen washer pump that gave up the ghost.

However, the 2012 Audi A5 1.8 TFSI Coupe is turning out to be a nightmare.  We have only had it for about 4 years (under 70,000 miles when bought) but have had to replace:  both rear shock absorbers, air con 02 sensor, cooling system expansion tank, drivers door lock, boot lock and now, to add insult to injury it would appear that the cam timing sensor is playing up, my boot will not open and I am getting constant 'stop/start' not working, n/s reversing light u/s (it is !) n/s rear fog light u/s (it is !), n/s side light u/s (it is !) - boot not opening, bulb failures (?) and stop/start failures are down, apparently, to a well known n/s rear wiring loom or ecu issue due to water getting into the boot.  My garage tell me that it is a widespread issue across Audi, VW and Skoda. 

We have been offered a 2002 Maserati by my daughters partner and I am sorely tempted despite it's age.  I will never touch an Audi again !!

I can fully concur with my experience.

my 2005 Z has only every needed servicing and a cam sensor.

I bought a 2005 mk1 V6 TT quattro with similar mileage for a bit of winter fun but its so fragile compared to the Z with several niggles which would be ludicrously expensive to fix.

Its woefully underbraked compaed to the Z and should it be the servo then unbelievably the engine has to come out and it will suck up about £1600! The rear ABS sensor which needs doing, can't be done without removing the disc and caliper and even then its likely to be seized into the hub requiring a whole new assembly.

Glad I kept the Z alongside it and having had a similarly good experience with a mk1 MX5 which just shrugged off anything I chucked at it, I think staying Japanese is the answer for me.

17 hours ago, BOINC UK said:

I have had my 2005 350Z Roadster for 9 years now and the only things that have gone 'wrong' were rear discs needing replacing (my own fault - should have checked pads) and a screen washer pump that gave up the ghost.

However, the 2012 Audi A5 1.8 TFSI Coupe is turning out to be a nightmare.  We have only had it for about 4 years (under 70,000 miles when bought) but have had to replace:  both rear shock absorbers, air con 02 sensor, cooling system expansion tank, drivers door lock, boot lock and now, to add insult to injury it would appear that the cam timing sensor is playing up, my boot will not open and I am getting constant 'stop/start' not working, n/s reversing light u/s (it is !) n/s rear fog light u/s (it is !), n/s side light u/s (it is !) - boot not opening, bulb failures (?) and stop/start failures are down, apparently, to a well known n/s rear wiring loom or ecu issue due to water getting into the boot.  My garage tell me that it is a widespread issue across Audi, VW and Skoda. 

We have been offered a 2002 Maserati by my daughters partner and I am sorely tempted despite it's age.  I will never touch an Audi again !!

Sorry to hear about your issues. A lot of people on here love Audi's and they are probably generally ok although I did have a lemon A4 back in the day. 

I have been jap since 2000, although I ventured to Chrysler for a while but that was pants too (Merc under the covers) .

Stick with Japanese, as nice as the Maserati might you will regret it in the end. 

Same for me as @Stewal had a MK1 and MK3 Mx5s both bullet proof. The 1998 MK1 cost me £400 off a mate and just worked. Rust killed the cills in the end. 

Hope you get sorted soon.

I've had a 2011 A5 2.0TFSI for the past 2 years and luckily had no issues with it apart from the common oil consumption issue which coming from a Z you get used to :lol:

Its honestly one of the nicest cars I have owned, but there is a lot of talk that the 1.8 is more problematic than the 2,0