Jump to content

Need HELP and ADVICE about my transmission


Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

I've posted in the past my problem with the transmission of my 2016 370z Nismo and it's getting worse/deteriorating. I replaced the transmission fluid with the highly recommended redline mt-85 but it has unfortunately not changed anything in my case :(. Ive taken it to 2 nissan dealerships now yet they have both came to the conclusion of no fault found and turned me away. I'm going to try have my car booked into for the 3rd time for a diagnostic and see what they say. If they say they no fault found again I can request to have them take off the transmission and have a look inside at either the synchros or the CSC, this will all be at my expense if they don't find a problem and therefore the warranty company won't cover it. Its a big risk so what should I do? Which route do you guys recommend? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Take it to an independent Z specialist first - they've seen them all and will be able to point you in the right direction. 

 

What's actually the symptoms? Noise? Feel? Vibrations? Struggles in the cold? Struggles in the wet? Struggles until the engine is warm? 

 

Upload videos and explain the problem. Not much the interweb can do without a little analysis. Mileage would help too. Maybe the car wasn't run in properly by the previous owner? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for getting back to me, can you recommend any Z specialists? I have no problem travelling :). Last time I posted about the tranny I was a 25k miles and currently at 27600 miles.

 

Symptoms include not being able to get into 2nd gear, having to wait a second or two until the rpms drop for it to go into place. Loud clunk when it does slip into it not smooth at all and makes the car judder, sometimes I have experienced a grinding sound and the feeling of clunking of the internal splines on the gears which is horrible. Recently started to experience not being able to go into 6th gear aswell when coming onto the motorway.

 

I can say it is worse when it is cold but still happens when warm just not as much. Hope this helps

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you need to take off the gear gaiter and readjust the gear shifter plate, that's usually one issue and most linked to 5th/6th gear shift. Google tells me it is usually a problem when the clutch is changed etc. 

 

Most 370z's struggle with 2nd and many spend silly money trying to fix the phantom grinding issue. There's a technique, usually better letting 1st gear rev out and changing after 4k or 5k revs. Could also try an aftermarket gear stick with a little more weight to help with gear changes. 

 

Ask the mechanic to take the OEM transmission mount off, give it a clean and put it back on. Personally I think it's less an issue and more an adjustment to the Japanese/Nissan transmission - assuming the car is a manual. 

 

Plenty of independent specialists but with what you've said, I don't think it warrants a visit. No error codes, no stupid noises or clutch pedal not returning. Maybe get someone else to drive the car and see what they say? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Matt Pugh said:

Thanks for getting back to me, can you recommend any Z specialists? I have no problem travelling :). Last time I posted about the tranny I was a 25k miles and currently at 27600 miles.

 

Symptoms include not being able to get into 2nd gear, having to wait a second or two until the rpms drop for it to go into place. Loud clunk when it does slip into it not smooth at all and makes the car judder, sometimes I have experienced a grinding sound and the feeling of clunking of the internal splines on the gears which is horrible. Recently started to experience not being able to go into 6th gear aswell when coming onto the motorway.

 

I can say it is worse when it is cold but still happens when warm just not as much. Hope this helps

I would suggest contacting Bob at Tarmac Sportz in Derby. About and hour from you. Bob has vast experience with the 350/370Z and will either fix the problem for you or offer honest advice.

 

I am on my 5th Zed. The previous 4 have all had rather 'agricultural' gearboxes, especially when cold, but nothing that I would have described as really bad. 

My current 370Z is a 2016 and the gearbox and clutch are really sweet. Its a GT but I'm not aware that the clutch and gearbox are any different on the Nismo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 21/06/2020 at 20:14, Umster said:

Sounds like you need to take off the gear gaiter and readjust the gear shifter plate, that's usually one issue and most linked to 5th/6th gear shift. Google tells me it is usually a problem when the clutch is changed etc. 

 

Most 370z's struggle with 2nd and many spend silly money trying to fix the phantom grinding issue. There's a technique, usually better letting 1st gear rev out and changing after 4k or 5k revs. Could also try an aftermarket gear stick with a little more weight to help with gear changes. 

 

Ask the mechanic to take the OEM transmission mount off, give it a clean and put it back on. Personally I think it's less an issue and more an adjustment to the Japanese/Nissan transmission - assuming the car is a manual. 

 

Plenty of independent specialists but with what you've said, I don't think it warrants a visit. No error codes, no stupid noises or clutch pedal not returning. Maybe get someone else to drive the car and see what they say? 

Sorry for the late response and thank you very much for your suggestion, you could be right about the adjustment. And yes it is a manual. I recently just had it serviced yesterday and the only thing that flagged up was that my clutch master cylinder fluid was contaminated. Could this be a sign of the clutch slave cylinder on its way out? And could that be a result of all my problems? The biting point is also literally as you're taking your foot off the clutch, that's how high it is lmao, cheers

Edited by Matt Pugh
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/06/2020 at 08:59, Ponsonby said:

I would suggest contacting Bob at Tarmac Sportz in Derby. About and hour from you. Bob has vast experience with the 350/370Z and will either fix the problem for you or offer honest advice.

 

I am on my 5th Zed. The previous 4 have all had rather 'agricultural' gearboxes, especially when cold, but nothing that I would have described as really bad. 

My current 370Z is a 2016 and the gearbox and clutch are really sweet. Its a GT but I'm not aware that the clutch and gearbox are any different on the Nismo.

Thanks the help, Bob fitted my 4th brake light so I might contact him and ask for some advice, unaware if they do or do not have the same transmission, I have a feeling they do for some reason, many thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...