Strange Wire / Fuse

OnlyAfro

In the interior fuse box (driver's footwell), I have a purple wire with a 15A fuse in the middle that looks very much non-OEM and I can't work out why it's there or what's it's doing.

I've been through the service manual, and although I'm still non the wiser, I at least know what it's connecting.

There's a red wire coming from 11A and a blue wire from 3B. This purple wire is spliced between the 2.

image.png.d6df922b93ef041676bbf1e74ec76eff.png

image.png.fa2432c3cb9936c49a6651e884290b4c.png

So mine looks like this:

image.png.2a6194f343a804f892fc4eb5a20b195f.png

P/SCKT refers to the 12V power sockets

A/C refers to the air conditioner

METER refers to the speedometer, tachometer, temp. and fuel gauges

3METER refer to the triple meter (battery volts, oil pressure, speedo/clock/etc)

From the above diagrams, it looks like 11A and 3B are active at the same time and are both fused at 15A, so I don't see what splicing between them achieves.

Here's some actual pics for reference too in case I've messed up:IMG_1719.JPG.6b14ba8f23143d808c70ad720e2cb948.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG.58b2cacf8a09464373d4b767f2369044.JPG

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, ZMANALEX said:

Common practice for a temporary fix to bridge  a couple of fuse points if one of them is not getting a feed.

Went to compare behaviour with the fuse in and out, and got the same result:

Ignition acc - power sockets live, instrument cluster and triple gauges off

ignition on - power sockets, instrument cluster and triple gauges live

Which raises 3 questions:

1) Have I misinterpreted the diagrams (it's from the NA service manual, dunno if there's a difference to UK)

2) If behaviour is the same, is the wire even doing anything?

3) If I'm reading it correctly, the service manual implies the instrument cluster / triple gauges should come on with ignition acc, but that doesn't sound right, and it doesn't happen.

53 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

You are overthinking this.

Why not just pull the in inline fuse on the purple wire and just drive the car and with the passage of time you may work out what possibly is not working.

That was my intention, I didn't reinstall the fuse. However with this lockdown I've got lots of time to ponder and not much chance for driving. :lol:

Edited by OnlyAfro