Ever Wondered Why the Sub sounds so loose and soft

Rob_Quads

I am in the process of changing my stereo. I'm going to be designing my next system to use the existing sub hole (not sure whether to use the whole thing dynamatted/fiberglassed as its rather large or a fiberglassed box)

So here are some pics of the standard install...

IMG_2545.JPG

Cover Off - The first sign of how well its sealed - to the left is a nice open hole above the amp bracket

IMG_2546.JPG

Sub out - Hmm That looks tiny. It hardly weighs anything either

IMG_2548.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

Generally A good sign of how good a sub is, is the size of the magnet and the available travel of the cone - the bigger the better. Hmm that will be rather thin then

IMG_2565.JPG

Sub out Picture

IMG_2551.JPG

The Oh so good Tiny light as a feather sub amp

IMG_2560.JPG

Onto the horrow story - Oh look how many holes there are. It would have been very easy to make it sound so much better by sealing up the enclosure. It would not have taken much. A cover for the belt dispenser and then some covers over the holes - there are actually 2/3 bits covering over some of the holes

IMG_2552.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG

Not sure what is under this access panel?

IMG_2557.JPG

So as you can see the enclosure is FAR from sealed which I am sure affects how well the subs work. It would have even been easy for them to produce a plastic enclosure which would be an improvement over whats there at the moment.

Well im guessing the sub is not designed to be in a sealed enclosure, much like the vibe subs, hence why many sub boxs have a port. Im not really up on my electronics but im sure someone will be able to give me the correct term.

Under that pannel is the fuel pump and fuel sender unit, and there is the same on the oposite side. So therefore i would be warey about fibreglassing over it

There are subs which are "designed" for open air but thats mostly just to stop them blowing them selves to part due to not having an enclosure in. Ported sub boxes are specially designed normally of certain lengths and sizes rather than holes everywhere lol.

I've second skinned the whole of the cubby area and the stock sub sounds much better. That wasnt my aim but was a nice bonus. Agree the sub is weedy, but then again, I cant see that Nissan were aiming the car at audiophiles either :blush:

After seeing H5's sub setup and hearing the sound in his zed on the weekend I was amazed.

Single sub (JL) is in the boot at the back on the left hand side. The poly whatsit stuff is removed and a custom box sub box made to fit. Amps in the place where the bose goes, spare wheel still in place, job done and sounds amazing!

Just need to work out myset up now as I dont have a sub and the speakers are crap, and they sounded worse before I upgraded the HU!

Agree with chris about the audiophile market!! But they had to do something to keep the costs down!!

Lots of guys on my350z.com have gone with this idea for the stock place http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php?pr ... t=8&page=1

• 2 weeks later...

folks - I have just had an install completed in my 08 zed and will post pics here as soon as I get them from my installer.

I used the bose location but a custom box was built and installed in here. space was tight so it's a 0.6cu ft enclosure with a dls sub installed. front set-up is dynaudio 3-way wich some nice custom panels to locate the 3" mid drivers where the air vents once were!

So far I am very happy with the sub - excellent musicality - but not so happy with the 8" bass drivers in the 3-way fronts as these are not currently ported into the door properly and are effectively running infinite baffle (or free-air)

watch this space for pics...

folks - I have just had an install completed in my 08 zed and will post pics here as soon as I get them from my installer.

I used the bose location but a custom box was built and installed in here. space was tight so it's a 0.6cu ft enclosure with a dls sub installed. front set-up is dynaudio 3-way wich some nice custom panels to locate the 3" mid drivers where the air vents once were!

So far I am very happy with the sub - excellent musicality - but not so happy with the 8" bass drivers in the 3-way fronts as these are not currently ported into the door properly and are effectively running infinite baffle (or free-air)

watch this space for pics...

sounds v B) get some pics up as soon as you can :thumbs:

Sounds interesting Garry. Presumably you are running the 3 ways active with separate amp on the 8" midbass drivers? You should be able to seal up the door fairly well. My 6.5" ones are only just starting to run in but the difference is noticeable after doing the doors.

Got any pics of the install? :)

running the dynaudio 3-ways up front passive off a genesis dual mono. these are already run-in as I had them previously installed in my golf gti but I'm not happy with the sound at all - no control due to the surface-mount nature of them at present. dls sub running off a genesis miniblock and head unit is an alpine 9965r.

my golf did ok in emma comp last year so hopefully I'll get similar results from the zed.

pics tomorrow - I promise!

do you have any pics of the dorr sealed up and did you make speaker baffles between door card and inner door seal to port speaker into door cavity? If so any tips?

running the dynaudio 3-ways up front passive off a genesis dual mono. these are already run-in as I had them previously installed in my golf gti but I'm not happy with the sound at all - no control due to the surface-mount nature of them at present. dls sub running off a genesis miniblock and head unit is an alpine 9965r.

my golf did ok in emma comp last year so hopefully I'll get similar results from the zed.

pics tomorrow - I promise!

do you have any pics of the dorr sealed up and did you make speaker baffles between door card and inner door seal to port speaker into door cavity? If so any tips?

The dual mono has a fair bit of clout, but unless you can cross over the midbass at the right point in relation to the sub it will sound muddy. An 8" driver is a fair unit to move!

You have the DVD head unit? You could try adding an H701 processor to help with the set-up.

I used to compete IASCA and have been to a few EMMA events but sold my competition car a couple of years ago.

The pics are in the link

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

The main work was on the sealing of the door itself. Rather than being ported it is sealed. Porting is a tricky thing to get right as it tunes to a very specific frequency. Let me know what you think. :)

pics look like a great install - very nice work with the amp rack. I'll show you mine in a pic but it's not as tidy cabling wise - was going to cover with a top-plate but am worried about over heating as my amps are in same location as yours.

with regards the front speakers - it's the dynaudio esotec 362 system. Perhaps a dmx would be better placed to run the fronts rather than the dm but the dmx is £££!!

when I'm talking about porting into the doors I didn't mean running a tuned port - just that the back of the speaker would vent into the door cavity to use the space therein as a sealed (or nearly sealed) box - same as you've done basically!

pics tomorrow!!

Douglas Adams (may he rest in peace) would have a field day with this thread :lol:

I had a rash on my "dual mono" but applying some "IASCA" that I found at the "EMMA event" soon cleared it up. At least it wasn't as bad as H5's "3 ways active with separate amp on the 8" midbass drivers" - sounds painful!

gobbledygook!