Advice needed. Android HU

daveo132

So...

I'm looking to change my radio.

I'm currently using a Parrot Asteroid Smart.  Its great, fantastic build & audio quality with full android.

The problem is that it's Android 2.x Gingerbread.  My satnav and most apps no longer support a version of android this old.

I've spent so time looking and the only things that come close to a similar experience are the Chinese units, Xtrons mainly.  The biggest issues is I'm not sure what I'll end up with.  I'm no audiophile but will the SQ be awful will it break in a week?

Reviews seem mostly ok but just wondering if anyone has any experience with one or if anyone knows of something else might be come close.

Android Auto doesn't really meet what I'm after as I wan't to be able to run things off the unit.  However should they support 3rd party nav, maybe it will be.

SAR_0356.png.1f60d4c912f75daf91a81f134f179103.png

Edit,

Doing more research,

It seems that since android 5.0, USB DACs are supported.

Edited by daveo132

Xtrons is an okay brand, but I think you get what you pay for in the end - there are also a lot of good head units from decent brands available for that price.

I'll be picking up an Android Auto unit shortly - probably the Sony XAV-AX5000.  I think AA only offers Waze or Google Maps - are both of those no good?

There absolutely is (that Sony in particular caught my eye) but none of them seem to offer the flexibility that i'm after.

Some don't take a display in (such as digital TV) which is something I want to add.

Some don't have a full set of pre-outs, again something which I want an option for in the future.

Also if i'm honest, I almost feel like they'd be a waste as I stream 99% of my music over Deezer which wastes the rest of the unit.

As for nav,

I use Co-Pilot as the whole thing can be used offline.  I had trouble in the past with patchy coverage and losing signal on google maps and guess i never went back.

Edited by daveo132

I'm going to give it ago.

30 day returns, and a 2 year warranty from xtrons.  Most accounts seem positive.

Will also stick it on the credit card (through PayPal), just in case.

I'll let you know how it turns out.  Will be on my thread below at some point.

Also got 15% off which was a nice bonus.

Edited by daveo132

Ok so,

How the hell have people fitted these before?

I can either get the wires to fit but then can't the radio in or the radio goes in and the wires stop me from putting in the heater box. :bangin:

Grr, I've fitted one in an E46, i must be able to do this one.  Any advice would be appreciated!!!! :help:

Patience, just try to make sure everything is tucked away and any bulky plugs are out of the way of the back of the unit, leave the shortest tails you can to plug the unit in and slide back and if its tight, reach under the unit and move the wires out the way.