Bits & Bobs for JDM 350Z I Just Purchased!

Leenx

Hi all,

Just registered with the forum. This must be my eighth car related one! as I am a sucker for performance motors. In the last three years I have gone through the following in this order: TT LHD (225), Scooby STI Type UK, RX8, Clio 182, Cupra R (225), Megane 225 Cup. Now 2003 Fairlady Z T Version ( soon to be 350Z badged) I'm now paying the consequences financially but worth it! Got to say the 350z is a large cut above the rest and can't see myself changing for a very long time!!

Apologies if this is long winded and may of already been covered (did check) but got a few questions which you may / may not have answers to - I guess they are more intended towards fellow JDM 350Z buyers?

1. Any idea how to mod the existing front reg plate holder so that the plate can go above the front grill? so it looks UK

2. I have the BOSE system, but can't get any radio channels what so ever!! any ideas what I need to change?

3. How do you mod the interior lighting (namely the footwell area) is it just bulb replacement?

4. Lastly ( and for those with the SAT NAV) I managed to convert the factory fitted japanese SAT NAV to English, however how do you close the SAT NAV display, there seems to be a lot of resistance when you try to push the fascia down?

Think that's it for now! Noticed that like the Subaru community fellow 350Z owners tend acknowledge one another - which is a good thing - something I missed with the other cars I've had!!

Ok thanks all in advance!!

Nick

Hi there and :welcome:

1. Your number plate solution is here

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/ ... e=ZEE-BRCT

2. Can't help, I've got a UK car

3. Ditto. Didn't even know there was a footwell light.

4. Converted the Sat Nav to English. Explain further. Does this mean you've got it to work here or just that it displays in English lingo.

Thanks for that, but looks like that reg holder is to actually attach the reg plate to the front grill, but I actually want to affix to the front bumper like the UK version? or have I got this completely wrong?

The importer who sole me the car, kept the existing factory fitted screen but must of replaced the DVD unit and software - so it's now powered by remote control - the model or hardware they used is the Panasonic CN - DV2300N.

Does that makes sense?

You mean bumper not grill then.

You need to buy a UK lnumber plate holder then. I think thats what your after. A few of the guys on here have done this to their JDM. Not sure if their is an aftermarket seller for one of these. May have to go to Nissan. You could try and post a line in the wanted section. Someone may have one lying around.

Can't help with the Sat Nav. Sorry. Somebody will be along shortly who can though.

Japan broadcasts radio over a different frequency range - you need a range shifter thingy

I'm sure a jdm owner can give the technical name and supply a link for one ( sure you could get one on ebay if you knew what they were called )

Gus

Hi all,

Just registered with the forum. This must be my eighth car related one! as I am a sucker for performance motors. In the last three years I have gone through the following in this order: TT LHD (225), Scooby STI Type UK, RX8, Clio 182, Cupra R (225), Megane 225 Cup. Now 2003 Fairlady Z T Version ( soon to be 350Z badged) I'm now paying the consequences financially but worth it! Got to say the 350z is a large cut above the rest and can't see myself changing for a very long time!!

Apologies if this is long winded and may of already been covered (did check) but got a few questions which you may / may not have answers to - I guess they are more intended towards fellow JDM 350Z buyers?

1. Any idea how to mod the existing front reg plate holder so that the plate can go above the front grill? so it looks UK

Most just stick a UK size number to the bumper with double sided tape.

2. I have the BOSE system, but can't get any radio channels what so ever!! any ideas what I need to change?

You need to fit this, it will play fm radio and offset to UK fequancy.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/8-51-OFF-FM-import-b ... dZViewItem

3. How do you mod the interior lighting (namely the footwell area) is it just bulb replacement?

Dont know of any difference

4. Lastly ( and for those with the SAT NAV) I managed to convert the factory fitted japanese SAT NAV to English, however how do you close the SAT NAV display, there seems to be a lot of resistance when you try to push the fascia down?

Should just press the button on the lid and it will close auto (you could have an electrical problem as it works on electric motors from the lid button

Think that's it for now! Noticed that like the Subaru community fellow 350Z owners tend acknowledge one another - which is a good thing - something I missed with the other cars I've had!!

Ok thanks all in advance!!

Nick

And welcome to the only free UK site.

what area are you from.

Hi ...I have a JDM like yours re number plate ,buy a UK holder from dealer it bolts straight on where Jap one is at present.or just bolt long type no. plate straight to bumper looks OK either way

Radio ...just junk it and buy a UK one ..I went down the band expander route but it was just crap :thumbdown:

Sat nav ditto ..you cant get it to work in the UK without spending £000s

also you may find yours will be restricted to 112mph mine was buy a HKS speed defencer to get full speed

no footwell lights fitted as standard but you could get them as extras (certainly in Jap market cars,not sure about UK ones )

hope some of this helps :D

Cheers all for your advice. Gonna buy a UK plate holder from my stealer.

Not sure about junking the stereo, as it's the Bose kit, are those band expanders really crappy then?

I'm from the bedfordshire area - near Milton Keynes - anyone else from around these neck of the woods?

Nope me too, been checking out ebay but no joy!! I'll let you know if I find anything. Been looking at quite a few parts sites - seems to be loads of add ons and gadgets you can get for the Zed!! anyone know of a website or shop which deals with second hand or refurbished alloys? Not going down the brand new route as I''ve already spent my life savings pretty much!!

Cheers all for your advice. Gonna buy a UK plate holder from my stealer.

Not sure about junking the stereo, as it's the Bose kit, are those band expanders really crappy then?

I'm from the bedfordshire area - near Milton Keynes - anyone else from around these neck of the woods?

yes they really are crappy :thumbdown: ..I put one on it didnt work ..I ripped all the radio out and put a cheap Sony unit in :thumbs:

If you want to try the band expander send me a tenner and I,ll post it you :D (save me sticking it on Ebay)

ps the Bose system is pants anyway ,read some of the posts on it !!

Can't complain about the Bose - had it in the TT and loved it!! Better than the systems in the Subaru and the Renaults I had - they really were poor! So how / what changes did you do with the Bose? did you rip it all out completely?

Re band expander - sounds good, but just gonna hear back from the guys I bought the car from - as they should really sort it.

Can't complain about the Bose - had it in the TT and loved it!! Better than the systems in the Subaru and the Renaults I had - they really were poor! So how / what changes did you do with the Bose? did you rip it all out completely?

Re band expander - sounds good, but just gonna hear back from the guys I bought the car from - as they should really sort it.

yep all out ., no good to anyone really unless you live in Japan :D Tried it on Ebay once but no bids..next place is the dustbin :scare:

You won't like this, but just went to couple of ICE stores, and apparently all you need to do is get hold of the UK Bose head unit - as a direct replacement, the wiring etc remain the same so it's effectively a direct swap!! however how readily available they are on Ebay or from sctrap yards is a different matter!!

Did you keep the speakers, Sub, and amp and just get new head unit? sorry I know you said rip it all out but surely not everything?

Cheers

Yes sorry didnt make myself clear , yes just replaced head unit... A bose one will be pretty expensive I would have thought..So replaced with a cheap Sony item about £150 but it has remote function and MP3 player etc...not much use to me really as I,m not a Hifi buff ..only just got rid of my cassettes :blush:

Hi,

Anybody want to sell me their UK Bose head unit if replaced with something else? Beginning to lose faith in this radio expander / uplifter thingy!! Thanks to those who advised but not feeling too confident about it.

Thought i'd keep this post on this section rather than The Wanted - as a follow on.

Thanks