Weird knocking and squeek noise?

BigPoch

Hi All,

I've recently got an unusual squeeking and knocking noise in my 2007 350z:

Symptoms:

1. Squeeking when standing and turning wheel

2. Squeeking and a low volume knock at low speeds hitting bumps (only at the front)

3. There is also a weird knocking noise coming from behind the pedals when approaching a stop to 0kmh (when braking). It happens when im at about 20kmh -> 0kmh and braking softly. It isn't a squeek like would be if brakes were wearing out, but as if  someone knocking with a hammer on the pedals (but there is no opposing force so braking feels normal and smooth) . Not sure if its linked with the squeeks from the suspension?

I think its my compression arm and has fallen of its ball joint and will be taking it to check up ASAP. Any other ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks for the help,

1 - My first move would be to change the steering fluid. Obviously if it's too low that's likely the problem, but failing that a change would be my next step;

2 - Yeah I think you're right, compression arm bushing would be first go to also. Saying that I'm getting a gentle knock on my front left at the moment too. EDIT - Just read another thread and ball joints can cause this also, which would likely be what I'm experiencing as I've just replaced all the bushings at the front;

3 - :innocent: No idea. Thinking aloud - and it's most likely not all this as it's very unrelated but it's the only thing I can think that's kind of near'ish the pedals. Steering rack a tiny bit loose, but I probably wouldn't even bother checking this is a it's such a silly suggestion.

I'm pretty much the worst mechanic out there so take it with a pinch of salt.

Edited by Dal123
  • Like 1

Low volume knock at low speeds hitting bumps is probably due to the drop links on the anti-roll bar, which are cheap and easy to replace.

The squeaks could be from the ant-roll bar rubber bushes, again cheap and easy to replace, and worth replacing with SuperPro polyurethane bushes which retain the grease better,

and improve the handling on bumpy roads.

If your compression arm bearing has gone then it would be better to do that first! ;)

Remove the drop links and go for a drive without them ... if the knock you describe persists then it's probably caused by the banana bar (compression rod) ball joint.

There is a method of checking for the ball joint failure by left foot braking whilst driving slowly over road bumps, this puts the compression rod into errr... compression and the knocking stops.

Unfortunately the whole CR has to be replaced if the ball joint has failed.

• 3 months later...