Rear inner arch protection help/advice

Rob350

So I gave the inside of my rear arches a serious clean at the weekend and like on many other cars the inside of the lip at the top of the rear arch isn't rusty as such but its not the factory silver it used to be. It like the factory silver paint has just started to flake off in patches about 6inch long and an inch up from the lip

I'd just like to protect and seal it to stop it from spreading outwards onto the car body.

What should i use?? Iv never done anything like this before

I was thinking of maybe painting with black hammorite or somthing then spray on some 3m rubberized stuff. What do you think??

Iv also heard of some paint stuff that neutralizes and stops rust but don't know what its called nor how good it is.

I'd really appreciate some tips, tricks, products and a couple of steps to follow to make sure I'm not just painting over any rust and having it spread behind whatever I paint over it

Thanks guys

I cleaned under my Zeds arches a couple of years ago and then applied Bilt Hamber's Hydrate 80 which neutralises any rust ready to apply a top coat of which I used two good coats of black smoothrite making sure I treated all around the lip of the rear arches.

Here's the link for the Hydrate 80, they do numerous products in addition to this which may be of some interest, I also bought some zinc spray as well which I used on top of the Hydrate 80 when I did my W brace which only had surface rust before then applying the smoothrite.

https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/hydrate-80

My car leads a fairly easy life and I cover less than 3K miles a year, I would probably apply some form of wax treatment on top if I was doing heavy mileage for added protection. 

I literally like the idea of just being able to clean and re-apply any topcoat every 3 years or so, I use the same treatment on all my classics and have owned my 1961 TR4 for nearly 30 years which underneath the arches is as good as the day I applied the first few coats of smoothrite.

I know some people find it can chip but I have never experienced any major issues with this and it's so easy to clean and re-apply when required.