custom radiator spec help

The Chubby Ninja

Looking for a bit info from people with knowledge of cooling systems. The car is a fully forged and supercharged DE  running around 500hp used for mainly drifting but still does some road journeys. It never used to overheat coolant with the standard radiator but thought I'd upgrade anyway, chose the mishimoto rad with their fans,bad move unfortunately. After fitting I get about 2 mins on track before the temp was up and into the red (coolant has been bled properly several times) this kept happening so I got rid of the fans and shroud and fitted 2 spal fans with a Davis craig fan controller and override switch, this helped a bit where now I get about 4 mins drifting before its too hot. I'm 99% sure the problem is with the rad and due to the cores being around 1mm thick so here's my question, do I buy a skunk 2 rad instead and try it, or do I have a custom big fat radiator made for it? What worries me is the mishimoto rad over cools on normal driving and on motorways drops to about 40*c so would the big custom rad be even worse? I've also got a mishimoto racing thermostat that's about 3 years old now so could that need changed?  And would fitting a standard thermostat help with normal running temps but cause me to overheat quicker? I'm struggling to see the point of a racing thermostat if I'm honest. Any help from people with some knowledge in this department would be great cheers

Was recently a discussion on Mishimoto rad's. There are numerous cases of stock car overheating in daily driving.

Had it on my Greddy Twin Turbo and from start i had overheating issues in normal traffic once i was halted behind lorries or in slow driving. On track 2 fast laps and temperature goes up.

No need to mention on numerous hours and methods spent to bled the system.

On the end i ditched their racing thermostat and went with Nismo one and Skunk2 Alpha rad. With this car was abuses on track for 40 laps and coolant temp never went more than 93°C

Thanks for the info snjur. That sounds like a good tested setup then! I think I will go for the nismo thermostat and skunk 2 rad then. Do you ever get over cooling during normal driving?

31 minutes ago, Snjur said:

Was recently a discussion on Mishimoto rad's. There are numerous cases of stock car overheating in daily driving.

Had it on my Greddy Twin Turbo and from start i had overheating issues in normal traffic once i was halted behind lorries or in slow driving. On track 2 fast laps and temperature goes up.

No need to mention on numerous hours and methods spent to bled the system.

On the end i ditched their racing thermostat and went with Nismo one and Skunk2 Alpha rad. With this car was abuses on track for 40 laps and coolant temp never went more than 

34 minutes ago, The Chubby Ninja said:

Thanks for the info snjur. That sounds like a good tested setup then! I think I will go for the nismo thermostat and skunk 2 rad then. Do you ever get over cooling during normal driving?

Nope. As you know VQ is prone to extensive heat production even when stock.

After this cooling upgrade with Nismo thermostat and Skunk2 Alpha rad even in cool weather coolant temp is behaving exactly the same like stock. Temperature needle is pointing behaving same like car was stock and with stock cooling system.

For me this system works flawlessly in normal driving and on track.

Plus I'm on stock fans and they are not kicking in much at all.

And i do not have AC system and radiator from AC 

• 1 month later...

I have a mishimoto rad as well and think that it is crap as well for FI. OEM was better.

Think I may swap out as I will be rebuilding the car later this month.

Where is the best place to buy this setup and are you guys both running A/C?

1 hour ago, wizard said:

I have a mishimoto rad as well and think that it is crap as well for FI. OEM was better.

Think I may swap out as I will be rebuilding the car later this month.

Where is the best place to buy this setup and are you guys both running A/C?

I have now swapped the mishimoto thermostat to a gates one and all my overheating issues have gone! Still got the mishimoto radiator but it now seems is upto the job with a set of spal fans. Can't believe I lost an engine because of a faulty thermostat but you live and learn! I think one of the only suppliers for skunk2 is tegiwa imports 

Edited by The Chubby Ninja

2 hours ago, The Chubby Ninja said:

I have now swapped the mishimoto thermostat to a gates one and all my overheating issues have gone! Still got the mishimoto radiator but it now seems is upto the job with a set of spal fans. Can't believe I lost an engine because of a faulty thermostat but you live and learn! I think one of the only suppliers for skunk2 is tegiwa imports 

Does yours not overheat now during drifting? Mishimoto is up to the job?

20 minutes ago, wizard said:

Does yours not overheat now during drifting? Mishimoto is up to the job?

No I went for a full day doing drift taxis and the water never got over 95. My oil is still getting a bit hot though even with a big 32 row cooler with fan so I may opt for a bigger rad in the future still to try and help a bit. I went for the gates standard replacement thermostat and it's great! No overcooling or overheating and I now have decent heating in the cabin aswell. It was the rubber inside the mishimoto that failed. The only racing thermostat I would use is the nismo but it's only available from the states and about 150 plus duties and tax so I didn't think it was worth it. If the gates wasn't upto the job I'd of just ordered the nismo though 

Edited by The Chubby Ninja

7 hours ago, The Chubby Ninja said:

:scare: Thats an expensive thermostat!

25 minutes ago, scobie140 said:

:scare: Thats an expensive thermostat!

Haha I know! I won't be buying any mishimoto parts again and il be getting rid of the rad when I can afford to do so but I need other parts first haha. Mishimoto are just rebranded cheap Chinese  parts sold at a Rediculous mark up

On 3/14/2018 at 17:05, The Chubby Ninja said:

Haha I know! I won't be buying any mishimoto parts again and il be getting rid of the rad when I can afford to do so but I need other parts first haha. Mishimoto are just rebranded cheap Chinese  parts sold at a Rediculous mark up

I almost bought one of their rads when boosting mine as it looked like it would give a lot more clearance but seen a few issues with them popping up on the form so just left it. Glad I did now

2 minutes ago, scobie140 said:

I almost bought one of their rads when boosting mine as it looked like it would give a lot more clearance but seen a few issues with them popping up on the form so just left it. Glad I did now

Yeah best to stay away from mishimoto products tbh, they have become the new japspeed in terms of bad quality, at least japspeed were cheap! Il be selling my rad soon so will give you a shout (lol)