Replacing wing mirror: what a nightmare

JB33

So, I openly admit I’m not overly clued up and not very hands on (I’m a software developer, that’s a hardware job) :lol:  

Anyway, I have my replacement wing mirror unit, all ready to go and my Tesco socket set, life’s good so far and I’m feeling confident. I proceed to remove the black door trim for the mirror controls first. 4 attempts later, and a totally scratched bit of plastic, it’s finally off. Next, I attempt to undo the remaining bolts and discover the bolts are about 100ft inside the door and need a socket extension (which I had to go buy). I get them out and pull off the door trim from the bottom. All pop out apart from one which snapped off (there’s always one). So I’m like “I can deal with that”. The door trim now on the ground, I can undo the 3 bolts holding on the mirror. Out they come and swap in for the new mirror. The new mirror now won’t sit flush like the old one did. A f*****g hour later I find that it’s the bolts inside the mirror that were sitting right and fixed them after comparing. Door trim back on and snapped another pop clip but back on and all bolts back in. Then then door sounds like @*!# when I close it, I see another bolt on the car mat I had missed. So window control panel back off, this time it wasn’t so easy and ended up snapping the b*****d in half ... FML. 

Got the bolt back in but this time wouldn’t find thread, just turning. Whole door trim back off but this time the top bolt wouldn’t come out. Yanked it out with pliers (as I’m cross now). Fixed the alignment and door trim back on (3 hours in) and dark now, shivering and freezing with a manky torch between my teeth. Keys in the ignortion and go to adjust my electric mirror ... nothing! .... NOTHING! Door handle trim off again (snapped this time now as well as I’d about turned Into the hulk with rage :rant:). Taken about 30 minutes to get the stupid wire connector undone. And have a look about. Redone it all and door trim back on. Mirror working but now door sounding like @*!# when closing. 

I’ve given up. Lessons learned .... pay a garage :lol:

funny thing is, I could do the whole thing now in about 20 minutes. 

now need some new door trims .... ZMANALEX .... lol. 

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1