Clutch problem

dkeenan87

Hi all,

Just come home after a few weeks away and started the  Z. Sounded like a bit of a grinding noise when it first started but don't know what that was (it hasn't done it again and I started it a few times!).

However, I'm getting a weird noise from the clutch. When it's in neutral and I move the gear stick from side to side I can hear a metallic noise at the end of travel. Feels a bit clunky when going in to gear. Also, when the clutch is up it makes a whirring noise - disappears when its depressed. I haven't noticed it before.

Moves fine without clutch slipping.

In the event it makes any difference, the pedal has been squeaking for a while but assumed that was just the fork joint (which I was going to sort this weekend!).

I'll take it for a drive tomorrow to get some warmth in to it after a few weeks of it being sat but any thoughts as to what cause might be?

Thanks

If the clutch isn't slipping then probably not the friction plate.

If the release bearing was away then you might expect noise when the clutch pedal was depressed, not the other way around.

Could you have lost some oil from the gearbox?

That's my two peneth anyway, hopefully someone with a bit more transmission experience can comment. Think the clutch is a dual mass type so could be other issues. Used to have a Skoda with a lot of miles on it and it used to rattle in neutral until you pressed the clutch. Still did loads of miles with it in that condition.

Sounds like the clutch thrust bearing has dried out and is making some noise - Not usually a big problem but they will make a noise when the clutch pedal is up, when you press it the bearing comes under pressure and the noise stops.

On start up you press the clutch - no engine noise the bearing spins you hear the grinding noise.

That's my internet diagnosis :lol::thumbs:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

When the clutch pedal is up the clutch bearing is not turning.

It is only when you press the clutch and bearing makes contact with the clutch cover diaphragm that the bearing starts to spin.

The normal noise on tick over with the clutch pedal up is usually the gearbox idler or first motion shaft bearing.

No idea what the noise is when you move the shifter side to side.

Also, remember the the DMF is prone to rattling.

As like Chris, that is also my internet diagnosis: :lol::thumbs:

• Like 1