Better buy

Christophe

Found a couple of grey zeds I'm interested in, both at the same price (7k) cant decide which is best value. Going to see them so could sway but if both fine on the day which is best value. 

An 07 reg (so higher tax), 90k mileage 

or 04 Reg (cheaper tax) 65K Mileage

both have leather seats (04 reg are those orange ones which i'm not keen but can get past that) and both from garages

Edited by Christophe

Which one is in the best condition? Which one has a documented history of work done and services (brakes/clutch/tyres etc)?

Have mentioned this a few times to new buyers but tax cost really is irrelevant - if a couple hundred quid is a serious consideration as to buying one car over the other you should be more worried about the cars history as a clutch change and new brakes will cost you well north of £1000 - hell your first full fill up of super unleaded will be around £90. 

Most people in the UK are freaked out by mileage - living in France where people drive freely across Europe and think nothing of 1000 mile road trips 90k would be seen as quite normal. Small island mentality unfortunately (not a dig at you by the way!).

Its a big old V6 that works around the 2000-4000 rev range most of the time, its hardly stressed, so as above, look at condition.

Problem with a 90k mile car is that it will probably be over 110k when you come to sell. That’s always a issue when selling. 

Having said that. Mine has done less than 40k miles and it’s getting more interest on m3 cutters than it is on here. Then again it’s a much busier forum than this these days. 

Z’s are a strange car to buy and sell. Be patient and don’t rush. 

• 4 weeks later...

If its the rev up DE avoid it incase of the oil issues you keep seeing mentioned, I'd go for the HR, if not make sure the DE is in good nick and take that instead.  I wouldn't pay 7K either for an 04', little bit lower... again though condition, servicing is key. (you just can't tell what fuel they've been putting in :dry: )