Splitting/Refurb Headlights

ThreeFiddyZ

Hi all

I have a 2007 350Z with Facelift Headlights. 

Unfortunately the seals have deteriorated allowing small water ingress into the headlights either side. 

How easy is it to remove the headlights, split them, clean them up and effectively reseal them without a professional oven and equipment?

I'd also like to replace the orange LEDs inside one of the headlights as one of the LEDs has failed, and I need to polish the inside of one headlight lens. 

If this is a job best left to a professional, can anyone recommend someone who offers this service with a relatively quick turnaround (one week)? 

The other alternative would be brand new headlights at £1600 for replacements or sourcing a used pair which I simply cannot afford right now due to other priorities on the Zed. 

Any advice appreciated. 

Thank you

Hi. It is possible to do this yourself if your up for giving it a go. 

Ive used a heat gun in the past to gently warm up the glue before splitting the lights. It take patience.

I wouldnt polish the inside of the light.  I've done this in the past before and it seems to have a coating on it which starts to come off if you use a fine resin polish.   Try just a lint free cloth an water to remove any water marks. 

The leds can be done. There are soldered onto a circuit board though so a bit fiddley. 

If you do muck them up I'll be selling a set of facelift headlights next week for £800  lol 

Paul 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the responses guys! 

I have a replacement LED board to slot into one headlight which I will do whilst resealing the nearside headlight. 

I have another issue now with the offside headlight whereby when I last sanded and polished it, I managed to put heat scores on the inside of the lens by concentrating the buffer on one point of the external lense for too long :(

Does anyone know if the lenses are competely interchangeable between a preface lift and face lift headlight? Can I buy a cheap pre facelift headlight, head the glue up and swap the lense to my facelift headlight? 

I’m pretty sure the outer lenses are the same on both headlight models. It’s getting hard to find pre facelift headlights that are in mint condition though.  

I might have a face lift lense for sale. I’ll need to check the condition of it though. 

Pm me if your interested 

paul 

• 3 weeks later...