New clutch fitted (Xtreme with SMF) - slave cylinder doesn't reach clutch fork

AdrianL

Apologies if my terminology is a little off. I dropped my car off at the garage today to get my new Xtreme clutch fitted with Single Mass Flywheel. Unfortunately the slave cylinder doesn't seem to quite reach the clutch fork (10-15mm gap). The reason for getting the clutch fitted was it was slipping, the operation of the clutch itself was perfectly fine before - but the clutch pedal was quite high.

The mechanic believes it is to do with the deck height, however we gave Ewen a call at Clark Motorsport and he said that it will be the same as OEM. Ewen also mentioned it could be the slave cylinder, but as this was operating correctly before - is this a likely candidate?

It doesn't appear to be possible to get it in gear when the engine is running.

Any ideas? Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianL

Air in the system?

Incorrectly fitted clutch bearing?

I fitted one of these kits in my DE JDM and it worked fine although I did replace my slave cylinder at the same time.

A few months later I had to fit a new clutch pivot ball because the old one had failed (someone had bodged it in the past) and I remember there are two different sizes depending on what material the clutch fork is, but I'm sure they would tell you if they had to replace it?

He did try bleeding it and also adjusting the clutch pedal to no avail. Couldn't comment on the clutch bearing though but I can mention that to him in the morning.

I don't believe the clutch pivot ball has failed, but I would ask how you can tell? (is it quite visible?)

Do you have an external slave cylinder?

Yes it is. Here's an image off google. What the mechanic showed me looked like this (but the fork was much further to the right!)

maxresdefault.jpg

Edit, here's a youtube video where the above image came from. This is how it's supposed to work, it wasn't operating like this at the garage:

Edited by AdrianL

Yea that's an external cylinder, if you pull the rubber cover away from the gearbox you can get a good view of the clutch fork, bearing and pivot ball, you should be able to get a better idea of what's going on then.

If the garage have done the job properly then it's most likely a faulty slave cylinder, luckily it's an easy job and should cost much at all, bleeding the new cylinder can be a bit tricky but there are plenty of guides on here if your mechanic is struggling.

Thanks, I'll suggest that. I trust the garage would have done the job properly but they didn't seem convinced on the slave cylinder (due to the fact it was working correctly before). From memory though, the fork definitely seemed further to the right than the image above - if my memory does serve me correctly, what could cause that?

Maybe the clutch fork has come off the pivot ball clip or the bearing has come off the clutch fork. It's easy to knock the clutch fork when re-fitting the gearbox onto the engine.

Hmm, if this was the case would the clutch fork be loose / movable by hand?

I had the same issue when fitting its on my old car. Ewen had accidentally sent an HR kit instead of DE. He sent the correct one and I returned the HR worked perfectly.

I hope that's not the case, the garage have just spent the day taking the gearbox off and refitting it :( - do you know how I can confirm whether it is the DE or HR version? I don't believe it said on the box itself.

Edit: I can see I've been charged for the correct version as the HR version is more expensive:

KNI25525-1A - DE (Mine) - £792

KNI25688-1A - HR - £1,128

I'm assuming this code will be on the box, so I can check that in the morning.

Edited by AdrianL

Maybe the clutch fork has come off the pivot ball clip or the bearing has come off the clutch fork. It's easy to knock the clutch fork when re-fitting the gearbox onto the engine.

I had the same issue when fitting its on my old car. Ewen had accidentally sent an HR kit instead of DE. He sent the correct one and I returned the HR worked perfectly.

I hope that's not the case, the garage have just spent the day taking the gearbox off and refitting it :( - do you know how I can confirm whether it is the DE or HR version? I don't believe it said on the box itself.

Edit: I can see I've been charged for the correct version as the HR version is more expensive:

Yeas it would be loose but the rubber bung may be keeping it in place, surely the garage would have compared the new and old clutch and flywheel before fitting it?

He did pull out the rubber bung, I'm not convinced it was loose because we were using a bar to try and engage the clutch (it wasn't obviously loose). Can't comment on comparing new vs old but I would assume they had.

Edited by AdrianL

He did pull out the rubber bung, I'm not convinced it was loose because we were using a bar to try and engage the clutch (it wasn't obviously loose). Can't comment on comparing new vs old but I would assume they had.

Ahh doesn't sound like it's come off then, are they taking the box out again?

I was charged for the correct part as well. Just check the code in the morning to make sure it's not something as simple as the wrong part.

They don't really want to but sounds like they may have to. Obviously the slave cylinder will be much easier to change but there's a cost associated with that too. Looking at the image above though, I'm not convinced the slave cylinder is failing.. it is certainly moving. It's just odd that the fork is further to the right than the image above.

I was charged for the correct part as well. Just check the code in the morning to make sure it's not something as simple as the wrong part.

Thanks mate will do

Edited by AdrianL

Id like to say they've goosed your slave cylinder in dropping the fluid, more then likely flipped the seals. Z slaves are temperamental at the best of times and are a known weakspot, when we did a simple braided line swap it finished off what felt like a perfectly fine working slave.

Chris at Tarmac sports sells uprated slave cylinders for £36 quid, I purchased one when I had my issues. Might be worth giving him a shout?

• Like 1