Buying a JDM need advice on alarm/etc.

steve3000

Hello,

Great site you have here, just came across it accidentally!

I'm in the process of buying a JDM Z which was originally imported into the uk back in 2003.

Everything is legit with the car, full UK service history and MOT certs etc. but it's changed owners in the UK a couple of times now, and the seller doesn't have the original SVA docs or paperwork.

Problem is my insurance company is refusing to insure against theft without a CAT1 alarm/immobiliser certificate. But surely the car must have at least an immobiliser to pass SVA (is that right, even back in 2003?) so I'd not like to fork out £300+ for a new alarm immobiliser if there's already one on the car which is perfectly good?

Anyone experienced similar? or thoughts on how to solve this one?

Thanks all!

Steve

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome :) and advice :D

tbh I hadn't thought about getting someone to issue a new certificate, what's your experience - most fitters likely to do this?

Having been in UK since 2003 I'm sure it must have suitable security - else how did the last two owners ever insure it?

Steve

Hi steve, and welcome. I have a JDM too and I don't think it's fitted with a cat1 alarm, there are certainly no sensors in the car. I'm not sure it has an alarm fitted at all! If there is one I have no idea how to test it :headhurt: I get my insurance from tesco. When I rang to change the policy details from my old car, they didn't seem in the least bit interested that it was imported, and certainly didn't ask about alarm system unit modules. If you are flexible in your insurance needs, try giving them a call.

Hi steve, and welcome. I have a JDM too and I don't think it's fitted with a cat1 alarm, there are certainly no sensors in the car. I'm not sure it has an alarm fitted at all! If there is one I have no idea how to test it :headhurt: I get my insurance from tesco. When I rang to change the policy details from my old car, they didn't seem in the least bit interested that it was imported, and certainly didn't ask about alarm system unit modules. If you are flexible in your insurance needs, try giving them a call.

As far as im aware, JDM cars have the NATS factory fitted alarm and immobiliser as standard, but is classed as a Cat2 as they dont have some of the interior sensors that are required for a Cat1 status ;)

As far as im aware, JDM cars have the NATS factory fitted alarm and immobiliser as standard, but is classed as a Cat2 as they dont have some of the interior sensors that are required for a Cat1 status ;)

OI! Where the bloody hell have you been? haven't seen you on here for weeks!!!

How's that motor going? :teeth:;)

OI! Where the bloody hell have you been? haven't seen you on here for weeks!!!

How's that motor going? :teeth:;)

Hello stranger :D Im good tah, motors fantastic.....like you though, just wishing i had more time to enjoy it what with work and everything :(

Take it alls good your end?

Hi guys, cheers for the info! Hadn't considered Tesco (are they not part of direct line insurance - tried direct line, but they wanted a tracker :scare: !!!) Will give tesco a go now and see what comes up.

Best quote I've had so far is Admiral, down to £588 with a reasonable mileage limit, greenlight and keith michaels are very close, but have much bigger excess...

Steve

Oh, is the factory-fit system operated when you lock on key fob?

Think you can check if it's got an immobiliser by opening up the key fob, removing the small cube-shaped black transponder, put it (and your spare key) a long way from the car (ie. upstairs in the house), then try starting with the transponder-less keyfob... This is how I checked out security on my last car.

Tesco's online quote didn't get me very far (>£1000) will give them a call see if it's much different tomorrow.

Cheers,

Steve

I was with Tesco for my previous car and when I tried to insure the JDM Z with them they were very expensive and not only wanted a cat 1 alarm but also a tracker! My current insurer insisted on seeing the CAT1 alarm certificate which was fitted when the car was imported. As tim said, if there's one on the car already a fitter should be able to verify it for you. Whereabouts are you located?

I'm in Hertfordshire, just north of the M25. Yes, sounds like I'll need to get a certificate, should be somewhere in North London that can take a look I hope... The insurance really is random numbers - had quotes from £588 to £1600, some requiring Cat 2, some Cat 1 and some trackers... Thought the companies wanting a tracker would give a sensible quote, but no, they were some of the highest! Does anyone really pay the top end of those prices???

Pick up the Z in 5 days now :teeth: can't wait!

Steve

I'm in Hertfordshire, just north of the M25. Yes, sounds like I'll need to get a certificate, should be somewhere in North London that can take a look I hope... The insurance really is random numbers - had quotes from £588 to £1600, some requiring Cat 2, some Cat 1 and some trackers... Thought the companies wanting a tracker would give a sensible quote, but no, they were some of the highest! Does anyone really pay the top end of those prices???

Pick up the Z in 5 days now :teeth: can't wait!

Steve

Companies that quote high do not want the business on their books hence they quote high e.g they will decide that they don't want under 21 yr old's or say import cars and just quote high for either group to effectively outprice themselves. Happens in the mortgage market too but in a slightly different way :)