05 Overheating for the first time

Kernow

So it happened today in stop start traffic, go figure. Fans don't appear to be turning and dash is indicating that the temperature is fine. Is this an obvious thermostat issue? Coolant level is fine, in fact too high for my liking even after spewing coolant out the overflow pipe. Hate to see boiling coolant in my baby :( Any idea what the issue could be?

You say the dash is showing the temp as fine, so what's making you suspicious? My gauge shows a bit under halfway, I occasionally hear the Mishimoto fans come on if in heavy traffic. If the stat was an issue (i.e stuck closed) the temp would continue to climb.

AC on doesn't turn on either of the fans. I am suspicious because of the steam coming out of my coolant tank ha ha. New symptom... Whilst driving and climate control on hot it still comes out cool

You say the dash is showing the temp as fine, so what's making you suspicious? My gauge shows a bit under halfway, I occasionally hear the Mishimoto fans come on if in heavy traffic. If the stat was an issue (i.e stuck closed) the temp would continue to climb.

The best way to check cooling fan function is to turn the ac on, if fans don't spin its a fan issue. However from what I've seen the temp gauge should have gone into the red before boiling over.

That latest symptom is well known with a stuck thermostat. Have to be honest at 1am my brains too cooked to say whether its open or closed though so not much help there im afraid. I want to say its stuck open though. Safe to say a trip down the Z shop to check her over :)

The fan trick is pretty simple, even on a cold start if you start the car with AC on then at least one of the fans if not both should come on almost straight away.

Okay so one of the fans turns on eventually with the aircon. So I think it is the thermostat as still no hot air in the cabin. Am I safe to drive to the garage at speed so that there is airflow over the radiator? Or is a replacement thermostat a simple enough diy job?

• 3 weeks later...

So the garage thinks the water pump is at fault, is this a big job? The garage said that it might involve taking apart the font of the engine and that they don't want to carry out such a complex job as they are very busy atm :s

If the thermostat has been replaced or removed, you can check with either, and its still overheating, then its more than likely the fan/s if only one is coming on with the air-con switched on and the engine up to running temp, the its definitely the fan, its a well known fault, the fan motor brushes get stuck/worn and can be DIY fixed if you know what your doing.

I would first eliminate these before letting the garage charge you big money for replacing what probably a perfectly good water pump, you can also test this by letting the car warm up and seeing if the bottom rad hose is hot or cool, if cool it likely to be the water pump, although unlikely IMO.

The garage said they tried bleeding the system and no coolant came out at all and that that was the reason they thought it was the pump. I shall ask the garage to check the rad hoses as you suggest.

If the thermostat has been replaced or removed, you can check with either, and its still overheating, then its more than likely the fan/s if only one is coming on with the air-con switched on and the engine up to running temp, the its definitely the fan, its a well known fault, the fan motor brushes get stuck/worn and can be DIY fixed if you know what your doing.

I would first eliminate these before letting the garage charge you big money for replacing what probably a perfectly good water pump, you can also test this by letting the car warm up and seeing if the bottom rad hose is hot or cool, if cool it likely to be the water pump, although unlikely IMO.

If the garage are trying to bleed the system using the built in bleed screws,and cant get any coolant out then it sound more like the system is air locked, there are several threads on this problem, so if you do a search, you can either DIY or tell the garage, who should know how hard some cooling systems are to bleed,

Do this before proceeding any further ae you need to get to the bottom of the problem before throwing silly money at it by just wading in and replacing the water pump, which may be unnecessary,

I would take it to somewhere that knows more about Zs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ricky,

Can you believe the garage hasn't sorted the problem yet! I got fed up with them and just took my car back today. Looked into the issue in more depth... My previous diagnosis seems to be wrong as neither of the fans are coming on with or without aircon and the temperature slowly climbs on idle. Any ideas on what to check next. Just checking out the fuses now

If the garage are trying to bleed the system using the built in bleed screws,and cant get any coolant out then it sound more like the system is air locked, there are several threads on this problem, so if you do a search, you can either DIY or tell the garage, who should know how hard some cooling systems are to bleed,

Do this before proceeding any further ae you need to get to the bottom of the problem before throwing silly money at it by just wading in and replacing the water pump, which may be unnecessary,

I would take it to somewhere that knows more about Zs.

How noisy are the Mishmoto fans? Looks like an easy enough replacement job from the video on YouTube.

It will be the fan motors, if you confident you can refurbish the motors, but most just replace them with the mishmoto fans.