Volume too loud after buster mod? (Amp gain adjustable?)

MDMetal

So I have my new HU installed and did the buster mod, but im finding the volume level is crazy, step one feels like its already 4-5. My HU only has front phono out so I had to do the mod anyway. I'd really like to reduce the volume by 50% or so. Does the cars main amp have a gain control on it or is it fixed?

Even on low volume im hearing some static hiss louder than with the bose when no audio is being output.

The only thing I can say to that is - so is Buster's :lol: I drove his car the other day and 1 on the HU is LOUD I think it bursts ear drums at about 4 :scare:

I mentioned it to Buster - he said I'm just too old (I'm younger than him!)

I have no idea if you can reduce the gain unless your HU has the option to do so?

• Like 1

With just the HU I found the volume was perhaps 50% too low vs the stock unit, but then only 1/2 the speakers were producing an output. As I said the HU only has front phono connections so I had to do the mod anyways I'm just wondering what the best solution is, it's really not practical to have the volume so loud early on. I guess either an app that modifies the volume range on the HU or find if the amp itself has some gain control, failing that a preamp volume control just to drop the input voltage.

Attenuators are what I need it seems, I would be able to lower the input to the amp and effectively pick a range between "maxiumum buster" (as I'm calling it) and zero so a nice fix for anyone who wants something in the middle

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with the hissing sound even with the volume turned down. I thought it might be the bose auto gain system that compensates for road noise etc but even when stationary it is really bad. With the speakers up it gets drowned out but sometimes I just want to listen to spoken voice and it is really annoying. Has anyone swapped out the bose amp fro an after market one with less gain and no funny gain system?

• 3 months later...

The Bose (CLARION) amps run at 1ohms not 2 4 or 8, you need a pac-rom to put new headunit in correctly, the buster method just overdrives the amps on full chat and cant be adjusted. also the buster mod is pretty much the same as using an iso lead for the non amplified set up in a Z. there are some good how too's elsewhere on the forum to guide anyone when fitting new HU